Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 06:10 PM   #13
Cozy Cone

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #21795
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
no '3 prong' 240v outlet has any 'combined' Neutral and Ground - it actually has NO Neutral, ONLY a ground.

now, your 50amp 240v RV NEEDS both, not just one, so, no, you can't just 'plug into' this 240v outlet, even with an adapter.

technically: the reason a 50amp 240v RV needs the Neutral is because there is NEVER time when both 'sides' of the 240v power is balanced - the Neutral wire then provides that balancing. RVs, like your home's Main Panel, have a a Neutral because many things can be powered at the same time, but not 'equally' between the two 120v 'sides' of the panel.
For most other 240v outlets with only 3 wires, and no Neutral, they work for those appliances because the 'heating' element/power needs are exactly the SAME on both 'sides' of the power - so no Neutral is required, though most NEW Clothes Dryers use a 4-wire scheme now since a human can be TOUCHING the metal appliance WHEN a power leakage might happen - the Neutral wire then provides a secondary path, versus the human.
Fully understood. This was the kind of info I was looking for. I will not be using that receptacle. I would like to eventually convert it over to a 4-prong setup that will be appropriate for my MH. Thanks very much for your help and advice!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum