Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #7
DavidEM

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m curious why you’re limiting yourself to 200 Ah? Can you never see yourself owning a motorhome with 640 to 800 Ah of useable battery capacity, or even more?
I picked 200 Ahs because that is as much as I can get in the existing battery compartment.

Yes I could add more. But it is a balance: more batteries to let me camp longer without charging or buy a $1,000 portable generator (or several thousand $ more for a built in generator) to recharge them every few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Typically with Lithium only coaches they put another alternator on the main engine to aid in charging up the batteries. Thus you wouldn't have to drive somewhere every 4 days, just run the engine for some time. The bonus here is that the main engine is usually a lot quieter than a generator.
Is there any C or small A where the builder installs a second alternator? That seems like a real waste to run the chassis engine just to make a kW or so of charging power. That is a lot of iron rotating which can't be very efficient for such little power.

David

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum