Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #22
Down South

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Glad you're back working. When you tear apart your defective motor please let us know what problems you find. I'm very curious. Safe travels.
You asked for so you got it. It's been raining for days here. So, no outside jobs could be accomplished. I went out to my shop to do something and saw the motor laying on the bench so I decided to take it apart.

Just as I had suppositioned the motor brushes were the culprit.

As you can see in the pic of the brush assembly, two of the brushes are stuck. Two of the brushes are broken. One is obvious, the other in the 12:00 position is broke as well. You can see the crack if you look closely.

I had to remove the brush plate to free the stuck brushes. You can see the two broken brushes better in this pic. The two broken pieces are laying on a cloth just above the motor end bell.

The armature was cruded up and while cleaning I noticed the end of the armature was uneven which I contributed to the failure. I didn't to take a pic after cleaning and smoothing out but I had to sand it down.

The second problem I found contributing to the failure was the brush springs themselves.
I don't understand why three of these spring weakened. I saw no sign of excess heat anywhere on or in the motor.

Now to find the parts needed to put the motor back together. I'll need a new set of brushes and brush springs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M1.jpg
Views:	1169
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	31167   Click image for larger version

Name:	M2.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	31168  

Click image for larger version

Name:	M3.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	31169   Click image for larger version

Name:	M4.jpg
Views:	1033
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	31170  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum