Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2021, 06:56 PM   #20
DogLovers

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhhoy View Post
Please let me know if this is not an appropriate posting.

The son of a friend of mine is thinking about buying a motorhome. Since I have one, and love it (2017 Thor Compass), my friend asked me if I had any advice for his son. I am a retired MH owner who likes to wander around in comfort, so my MH is pretty new and loaded with nice features. However, my friend said that his son doesn't have a lot of money, but would like a basic MH that is reliable for long trips.
So, my question is ... where should I tell him to start? Is there a forum that might ask the right questions? Would an RV "book" be the place to start? Is there a good marketplace the he could go to?

Thanks for any ideas that you might have.
Look. There is no magic place or secret information lurking behind internet firewalls or under the Covid tree. The only way this guy can buy an RV is the same way everyone else did. Go to RV dealerships. Look at everything they have, test drive a few interesting one's. Then go to at least 2 more dealerships and repeat this process. By then he will have a good idea of what type he likes and what amenities he wants. With that knowledge he can narrow his search to the few models he wants. Then it's internet time. Determine the values by years, make, models, mileage, accessories. Now use the internet to shop virtually every dealer in America. If he finds the right rig at the right price he can fly anywhere and taxi to the dealer after making a cursory deal via internet and phone. Test drive, PDI checklist, pay the money and go. I drove 16 hours to pick up my last RV purchase. Had to do it because they had the right rig at the right price that saved me $20,000 over the next choice that wasn't as good. Having said all this, it is true not all buyers are good negotiators. Some pay too much or buy the wrong thing. But the good part is if you do all your own work to buy (and it is a lot of work) you will know what you're doing and you will own all the decisions and that's the way it should be.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum