Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2021, 12:37 AM   #31
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
X2 HOW can you hate batteries. Had Flooded in a travel trailer lasted 3.5 years no issues. Even during a 90 day road trip.

30 year tech put in interstate group 31 ..$200..we dry camp boondock 95% and use a 3000 w inverter ..no issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
When our flooded goes will consider
Your two posts actually contradict one or another; or may be the basis answer to your question as you are willing to consider when your flooded goes. A better question from you to me could have been why did I consider changing BEFORE my flooded had issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Glad you’re happy. What in the world is so terrible about flooded house batteries? I’m very happy with mine. Flawless performance and replace them every 4 years at my convenience. Last time it cost $160 for the pair. Very happy.
I am very happy. Probably one of my favorite upgrades. I will never ever own a RV with FLA Coach batteries ever again.

But you asked why

I have crowed about it so many times, I guess I assumed everyone knew. But before I list why let me preface that Quality is defined as fitness for use. My NAPA FLA functioned exactly as designed. I assume any FLA in a House battery deep cycling situation would do the same. Why do some people by a nail gun when a regular hammer can do the job?

1. I didn't want to water my batteries anymore. I am will willing to spend 3 hours a month washing and cleaning my RV, but refuse to take 10 minutes out of my day to open the steps open the caps, check the water, and add DI water if needed.
2. I didn't want to buy ANY watering tool or aid, I didn't want to water my batteries anywhere anytime for any reason. Just like Sam I Am not liking Green Eggs and Ham I have never ever had to water any batteries for any motorcycle, any boat, any car or any SUV I have ever owned.
3. Safety factor in dealing with acid and corrosive materials. Batteries do explode, it is rare but it happens
4. The sulfating, the fumes underneath the steps
5. The corrosion, not just battery terminals but the steel flooring and everything metal inside.
6. But maybe my biggest and final straw because my original plan was to wait until the batteries went bad, but one day I had acid leakage and it not only etched the floor a little, but it put a significant stain on my new $8,000 concrete driveway for my new RV I was pissed and the batteries had to go. I gave them away and bought the AGMs.

Yes I could have bought FLA Maintenance Free, but I wanted 125 ahs and pure AGM. It is night and day difference. Every once in a while I open the hatch to look at the batteries only to see clean. I have doubled my boondocking capability from the 65ahs each FLA to the 125 Pure AGM; so I spent $300 more, but it shut me up, nothing more to complain about but the price of gas

Note: My chassis battery is FLA and I don't hate it. I don't water it either, nor does it ever corrode or leak. It is not like I have been under a rock. I have used FLA batteries all my life too. But this is my first RV, and it was a PITA to me. It is gone and I am gonna do my happy dance one more time.

See the stain in the picture? Well that is just one spot caused by the now gone batteries. I should also add that one of the reasons I did not buy the brand new Thor 2018 ACE 29.3 was because when I went to PDI the battery compartment had a battery that exploded. Yes the TMC Dealer replaced the batteries with more FLA but they refused to even pretend like they would fix the other damage around hydraulics etc. Thor said it was damage done on the dealer's lot. At the time, everybody on this site advised me to run as fast as I could, I ran faster

See pictures of the corrosion after the dealer repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210907_192907.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	34129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_162958.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	34130  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_163001.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	34131  
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum