Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2021, 04:20 PM   #37
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
... so what happened to AGM as an option.

I agree with other points as I have often failed to mention the access as negative component to my otherwise long list of negatives with FLA that require water in a House Battery configuration.

I also don't see Lithium's today as a solution for me, because of that freeze thing? Maybe they have solution, but I have enough to worry about freezing than to add two 1 million dollar batteries to the equation.

I could have 500 ahs and it would be of no benefit to me, because I never boondock without having to run my genset for 2 hrs a day anyway. It is Fools Gold if I were to chase Lithium. Pure AGM is King
Technically AGM, Gel and "flooded" are all classed as lead-acid... just a different internal construction. While Absorbed Glass Mat and Gel are sealed and maintenance free, the "old school" flooded batteries need the occasional drink of distilled water to survive.

And I agree... AGM would be MY maintenance free choice. I just need enough amp hours to run a TV and the absorption fridge occasionally. I can achieve that economically with a form of lead acid.

It would seem (for me) using two 100 amp hour lithiums would be ideal... until you do the math. I'm not interested in spending $1,600 PLUS replacing the converter... THEN removing the batteries to a warm "charging zone" during winter storage. THAT'S NOT maintenance free!!

When my GC2's die, I'll most likely stick two 12 volt AGMs in there - unless by some miracle an economical maintenance free lithium battery becomes available... not holding my breath!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum