Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2021, 07:50 PM   #62
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
I posted for the OP based on their rig, a 2020 Vegas with the V10 on E series chassis.

The 7.3L V8 on E-Series chassis reads the same.

If you stay at high elevation, you can possible run 85 while there, just as long as you don't leave the high elevation during the tankfull.

You can spend 12 mins and dig into the details on why in this video.

Wow was it you that brought up Internet Engineers If I followed correctly; this guy was comparing cars made in 1942 to cars made in 1987 which he referred to the latter as modern cars So is this video 34 years old or what; I may have missed something.

But your statement "If you stay at high elevation, you can possible run 85 while there, just as long as you don't leave the high elevation during the tankfull." is relevant and my point.

To my knowledge and to my point the 85 or 86 is only available where altitude comes into play. 87 is NOT available; so you have to buy 85, 86, or 91 PERIOD unless Ford proposes you haul your own 87 gas. I never buy 91, if I was told I must, I may not have bought the F-53.

Where I might agree and have little flex was say I drive from Dallas to Amarillo, I will likely have left Dallas with a full tank of 87; by the time I am in Amarillo, I may see 86 being sold. If I was going to pick up something in Amarillo and head back to Dallas, I may only get 1/2 tank, but if I am going to Colorado, I fill up and likely fill up again somewhere near New Mexico / Texas Border (all 85 at that point). The reverse is true as well, as I head back to Dallas, when I am away from the altitudes I will see the 86 and 87s again. 85 octane is not a finite spot. If you driving and run into it you need it, it is not like I am driving around Dallas every day at 400ft with 85 octane in my RV.

FWIW, I just washed my RV and couldn't help but notice that on my gas cap it says exactly

Gasoline / E0 - E15

So that doesn't specify any kind of gasoline and does specify 15% or less Ethanol which both contradict my manual.

Before this thread, I never would have used E85 in my RV; now I rethinking that, need to find out what Onan says about for my 5500.

But this ain't all too complicated. When I get out at a gas station, I always pump 87, if it ain't there; and I see 85 or 86, I know I am climbing in altitude; so I buy it until I no longer see 85 or 86 because I am either heading home or descending in altitude.

Something else I always do, when I first buy 85 octane gas; I do set my Onan 5500 Generator altitude adjustment to a setting, normally 4 or 5 thousand feet
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum