Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2022, 11:40 PM   #331
Scubawise

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
I totally agree but there are rollers under the slide attached to the floor that totally support the side. The In-Wall tracks and gear assembly do not support the slide like the In-Floor design does. There in lies the problem with a heavy slide. The Schwintek system is made to support the slide at the center of gravity when the slide is nearly out. With a fridge on a slide and that cannot happen. Put a dinette on a slide and its easy to balance the slide room. Second problem, in an In-floor design there is a square steel axle shaft the connect all the gears that move the slide, so it cannot get out of synchronization, There can be number any ball-bearing tracks and the number is dependent on the weight of the slide.

The In-wall slide depend on a computer controlled voltage supplied to the individual motors of the slide to keep the slide's sides in synchronization. At best, it kludgy as stepping motors are not used.
The Schwintek In-wall slide design is well thought out and engineered but only for 14 ft or less long and 24 inch deep (or less) with weight centered on the slide's floor. There can be any number of rollers per slide (length and weight are the determine factors in the number). Schwintek engineered the system to put the rollers at the center of gravity of the slide on the bottom of the slide and roll across the floor. That did not work well as the floor covering would not support the load of a heavy slide. Finally the rollers must be a very small diameter to fit under the slide's floor and the coach's floor. This is not ideal.

The difference with the Vroom is its track system is engineered to support the extra loads the rollers on the floor cannot. This is important when most of the slides weight is against the wall.
The forgoing is my opinion alone as a graduate professional engineer (retired).
You can blame Schwintek for a poor design if you desire or even Thor MC for using using the In-wall system improperly, but would you be willing to spent the money for a heavier coach with trouble free slides and with a bigger engine? If so I recommend the Entegra Reatta. It is a beautiful coach with In-floor slides. Base list is just over $400,000 for the 37 ft model. Yes I know it is a Thor Industries product but it has a two year warranty. Besides Entegra has a wonderful customer service center just across from the factory, The center has 22 full hookups and great coffee. We parked the Hurricane there in 2019 when we spent the day with Todd Hahn
Holy Crap! Thanks for the expert education.
I have read these slide posts for a while and not clear

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum