Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 10:38 AM   #12
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Exception could very well include Class B camper vans with Onan 2800i inverter generators and 11,000 BTU/hr air conditioners. They’re still common from many manufacturers including Thor. Fuel cost could be around $10 for the night.

A major problem with conventional generators to power air conditioners at night is that the A/C (at least compressor) will cycle on and off a lot, and when standard generators idle unloaded, they still use a lot of gas. Inverter generators at least reduce fuel consumption when running unloaded.

If I recall correctly, someone in this forum who ordered a new Axis or Vegas wanted Thor to install an Onan inverter 2800i generator in lieu of the standard 4000-Watt unit to make boondocking more efficient.
What about an AGS set for HVAC Mode?

I've never tried mine set to A/C Mode to see if the generator shuts down when the set temp is reached. If the generator would cycle with the thermostat demand, that would make it more fuel efficient. But I don't think it works thats way.

I know the Minimum Runtime setting for my AGS is 10 minutes so assuming the set temp can be reached in 10 minutes, you could let the generator cycle with A/C demand.

Not sure how restful sleeping would be with the A/C and generator cycling all night long.

I'm happy to report my bedroom A/C did work throughout the night on my Inverter without any issue. I had it set to 71 and it cycled about a half dozen times best I can recall.

My batteries weren't at 100% before we went to bed last night but I was happy to see they were only down to 68% when I got up this morning.

Installing the SoftStart should allow me to run the A/C off the Inverter if I am so inclined.... but for quick boondocking overnight the SoftStart isn't needed with my Xantrex Freedom XC Pro 3000.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum