Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2023, 05:48 PM   #13
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertj1961 View Post

.....cut....

I wonder however if you lost power and the batteries got cold and then had to heat up, in if you would loose DC power during the startup/heat process?

Thanks for the reply and still learning quite a bit about how this van does/ or in many cases does not work as it should.

Are your lithium batteries located inside coach? If so, as is the case with most RV Lithium batteries I have seen, you can start the vans engine and warm the inside of the van like you would any car until it reaches a comfortable temperature around 70 F or thereabouts. Given a little time batteries should also warm up enough to allow charging. After initial cold start, house heater (whether propane or gasoline) can keep inside of van warm enough for camping in cold weather, which should also keep batteries fully functional for charging.

Unless batteries are located outside camper, I don’t see this being a significant problem for cold weather camping as long as there are safeguards to prevent charging a cold battery bank.

I’m not saying Thor did an adequate job because I have no idea how they wired safety interlocks to protect batteries from damage. In many cases batteries can be charged from shore power, generator, alternator and or solar, so there is a lot to consider. From my perspective easiest solution is to make certain batteries remain above 40 F before any charging is attempted.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum