Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Lithium Upgrade
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2023, 08:29 PM   #101
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad;376505 [snip
Based on these parameters, would a 350 amp ANL fuse be too high? Should I base the fuse rating on the PEAK discharge (200 amps) or use the BMS cutoff of 330 amps? I understand the point of the battery fuse is to protect the batteries in case of a catastrophic short - which could easily produce 1000+ amps - but I also don't want to fry the BMS.

I'm referencing an install of 100 Ah Battle Born batteries using a 300 amp fuse... in which case looks like a protection using peak discharge?
The circuit breaker size (amperage) is always based on the wire size (capacity in amperes based on the type of wire insulation) and not the device the wire/cable goes to. Be sure and use the chart for direct current and not alternating current. Then there is the fact that multi core cable can carry less current in the same diameter when compared to solid core (i.e. single core 1 AWG cable can carry 180 amps in open air but the same wire gauge of 43 strand cable can carry only 55 amps).

When carrying large amperage loads, I find it is convenient to use two or three smaller gauge cables rather than one very large copper single wire cable.

When I upgraded my inverter from 1,000 watts to 2,000 watts, I simply ran another 1 AWG, 6 strand cable to the inverter and to the ground parallel to the original Thor MC plant 750 cable.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum