Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2023, 01:59 AM   #8
Chateau_Nomad

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I have a 2020 Chateau 24F... sister product to the Four Winds.

Ours came with the exact same 10 amp PWM solar prep with the MC4 connector on the roof. In summer 2020 I installed two 100 watt Rich Solar panels - used the aluminum L brackets kits with included screws. I also replaced the 10 amp controller with a 40 amp MPPT controller from Rich Solar.

Note... As you're browsing panels and controllers on Amazon, notice how similar in appearance the cases are. That's because they come from the SAME FACTORY, then are rebranded by the seller. So... I suggest shop price.

Attention to detail, Eternabond tape and self leveling Dicor are key. I laid down a patch of Eternabond tape where each bracket foot contacted the roof. Then smeared a little Dicor on the bottom of the foot and pressed it onto the Eternabond tape... then drilled holes through the Eternabond tape into the roof plywood. Next dab a little Dicor onto each screw and drive it down flush... being careful not to over tighten and strip the threading in the wood. Follow that up with a coating of Dicor to cover each foot where the screws are. I have had ZERO issues over three seasons.

So... I'm now updating my entire solar/battery setup. I'm waiting on a string of sunny Ohio weather to remove the two 100 watt panels, and replace them with three 200 watt Rich Solar panels. Careful use of a sharp utility knife to cut the Dicor around each foot. Scrape the Dicor off the screw heads... then remove.

If the new panels don't exactly fit the previous layout, no worries... the holes get covered with Eternabond. The new panels install exactly like the old ones. Sure, there's likely going to be a few Eternabond patches covering holes, but so what? Waterproofing is key... not aesthetics. Nobody sees the roof!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum