Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
sepesce

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Observations and Lessons learned from our 1st long trip with 2017 Axis 24.1

Warning , this post is a bit lengthy. We just returned from our first 7 day / 1500 mile trip with our new 2017 Axis 24.1. The 4 of us (2 teens) traveled from NJ through PA down through VA , (tubing on the Shenandoah) to WV (Whitewater rafting on the New River) to KY (Kentucky Horse Park and Mammoth Cave) to IN ( visiting family in Nashville / Kokomo ) and home across 70 and the PA turnpike. It was a jammed packed vacation and we stayed no more than 1 night in any place. We gave the coach a workout. My heart and prayers go out to the flood victims of WV. We were in the area 2 days before the rain and flooding hit, such beautiful country.

The Good:
1. In my husband’s opinion, the coach performed well in the hills and mountains of PA, VA and WV. It was also extremely hot in KY (heat index 102) No problems due to heat. Somehow we managed not to encounter any rain except for a brief down pour while at Kentucky Horse Park, so we cannot comment about driving in the rain in this coach.

2. This is a perfect size coach for us, no more space than needed. With the addition of memory foam to rear beds, pull out couch and drop down bunk, we all slept well. The 15.0 BTU air conditioner kept up very cool during the hot KY weather. We used the generator for a couple of short spurts to cool the coach while driving in KY as the front air con could not keep up. We were fine in the front, but the kids on the sofa were beginning to bake!

3. We stopped on the PA turnpike on the 1st day of the trip to call Thor, as both Fridge lights were flashing and the refrigerator was not cooling. The tech was professional and helpful. The diagnosis was air in the line. We turned on and sparked the stove, turned the fridge off and back to auto and we were back on the road in less than 15 minutes. We did not encounter anymore problems with the fridge during the rest of the trip. We did keep a close eye on it, as we had purchased an AcuRite 00986 wireless digital thermometer for the fridge and freezer. The thermometer was most helpful in determining the Fridge temperature setting (usually 4 or 5 in the heat) . It is convenient, as the magnetic display can be attached to the metal range hood.

4. Our goal in purchasing the coach was to see as much of America during the kids’ vacations before they head off to college. Our first trip was exactly what I hoped it would be. We all had fun and made some memories. No major problems with the coach and it is convenient and easy to use . There are some areas where we would like to make modifications. The next big trip is the during first week of August to the UP of Michigan. Hoping it will be cooler, a couple of the sites we reserved do not have hookup.

Areas of Improvement:
1. My number one complaint about this coach is the noise. I have no previous experience with other RV’s so this may just be the nature of the beast, but it seems like Thor could spend a little more engineering time (or money) in sound proofing. If it adds too much expense to the coach, then make it an option. I would pay for that!! My husband put fat mat in the doghouse and it took it from 85 db to around 80. It did do a lot to reduce the heat coming from the doghouse but not much soundproofing. I would be most interested in hearing how others have sound proofed , how they did it and their coach’s db.

2. My husband is the primary driver but I drive it too. I don’t mind driving long distances in my van, but in this vehicle, not so much. The combination of wind and winding roads is least enjoyable… downright not fun! It helps when I wear a wrist support to keep my carpel tunnel from flaring up (probably from clutching the wheel). We are looking into mods to help with drivability comfort. My husband is looking into sumo springs. If you care to comment on your experience, it would be most welcome.

3. My teen’s number one complaint is lack of USB outlets in the sofa area where they are obliged to be belted during travel. (one of our future mods). They also found the couch not very uncomfortable when riding long distances, their solution was to stack the two rear bed inserts, cover with a towel (Mom’s requirement) and use it as an ottoman.

4. My husbands’ number one complaint besides sound proofing, is unique to him, he is a bit of an audiophile so he is working on plan to replace the front audio system.

5. So far the only modifications made prior to leaving, was the installation by my husband of a Surge Guard model 35530. He installed it under the bed on the passenger’s side. The dealer made it clear they would not repair problems during the warranty period of problems that occur from not using a surge protector.

Lessons Learned:

1. With 4 people, dump your black and gray before completely full. From now on, if its at two thirds full and there is a dump site available, we are dumping.

2. Flying J is very RV friendly and you get a discount on gas and rv dump station as a Good Sam member.

3. Avoid pulling into campsites after dark if you wish to maintain a good marital relationship

4. Agree upon signals prior to assisting your partner backing into campsites, again if you wish to maintain good marital relations.

5. Iphone maps navigation usually sends you the shortest route not necessarily the best route for a 25 foot RV. Some of the state parks we stayed in were off the beaten path and down hilly narrow roads. In future, I will compare state park website directions to make sure we take the best route. My bad. Also ..print maps to your destinations, we did not have Verizon coverage at our stay in Shenandoah River state park. The Ranger was kind and printed us a map to our next destination.

6. Have and USE a checklist, we learned this one on our first short weekend trip after pulling away with the awning still out….yikes… We got lucky and missed a tree by 6 inches before discovering our error. Phew!

7. I’m sure there are more to come during our future travels. As they say.. the memories are in the journey not the destination.

Safe travels.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum