Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Coach batteries
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #6
Forest Grump

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: California
THOR #3186
I think you mis-stated the issue. The number of batteries or the price is not the issue, the issue is the number of amp hours your batteries provide in a 20 Ah rating. True, real, deep cycle batteries will have a 20 hour amp hour rating. Combo batteries do not give the 20 amp hour rating.

The Harris batteries are combo, back calculating in the 60's at the 20 Ah rating. A true deep cycle battery in the size of a 27 or 31 will be 95 to 115 range at 12 volts. Two 6v in these sizes are 205 to 245 Ah, but you need two. You can get a single 12v deep cycle at 215 Ah or a 6v at 360 Ah, these are big heavy tall batteries.

I have 2 6v Trojans at 306 Ah. They are 16" tall and weigh 95# each.

So that's one issue. The second issue is how you are going to charge and maintain such a large battery. A full and complete adsorption phase takes that battery to the last few % of a complete charge then to float. Skip this stage too many times and you eventually will sulfonate the batteries. One hour of generator run with a 55 amp inverter isn't going to do it. You are looking more at 3 to 4 hours. That's why solar is so popular. I have 480 watts of solar.

We boondock for a week, often with teenage granddaughters, and never run the generator.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum