Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
Fellow Tinkerers,

I'm planning out my winter project.

I want to hard wire an inverter to power all general receptables and microwave. I will also be using a 15A inline transfer relay to avoid conflict with shore power and generator power.

Can I install a 15amp AC circuit breaker to accomplish this? The feed would then go back to a junction box.

Any thoughts?

Always Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
.....cut....

I'm considering the Xantrex ProWatt 1000 with the Xantrex inline transfer switch.

.....cut.....

My 2 cents .....

I would first define in much detail what you want to accomplish operationally before selecting equipment, or before worrying about how or what it would take to install it.

For example, you first mentioned wanting to run the microwave; which sounds great to me. But most RV microwaves (except very small ones) won't run on 1,000-watt inverter.

And if you don't connect microwave to inverter, what are you going to run off outlets? A coffee maker, hair dryer, etc. may also not run off a 1,000-watt inverter.

Regarding transfer switch, there is a reason many inverters that have built-in transfer switches are rated at 30-Amps. That way when connected to shore power or running the generator, your system can run at full power. Otherwise you may not be able to make coffee and run a hair dryer (or other combinations) because you'll have a bottleneck created by the 15-Amp transfer switch.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum