Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #11
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I did not know that! That would mean that they have to extend the drive shaft and can introduce any possible kind of vibration (probably have to add even another central bearing to carry the longer shaft? That would be another source of possible vibrations). I know that my son and his fellow mechanics keep their fingers as far away from the drive shaft as possible, because they know how critical this thing can be!
Someone posted an Axis/Vegas drawing a while back showing a chassis with original 158-inch wheelbase getting stretched 30 inches to end up at 188-inch wheelbase. Originally I expected they stretched a 176-inch chassis by 12 inches, but that's not the case.

In addition to lengthening the driveshaft, a lot of other things must have to get stretched also. Just a few that come to mind that I'm interested in checking out to see how well they are done.

Chassis frame rails
Exhaust pipe
Brake line to rear axle
Parking brake cable to rear axle
Fuel and vapor lines
Electrical to fuel pump and gauge transmitter
Electrical to all rear lights
Electrical to trailer connector
If they have ABS, that too.

While I'm sure MORryde usually does excellent work, everything else being equal, I would prefer the chassis not be modified by anyone after Ford assembles it; but that may only be possible with E-Series motorhomes up to 27-ft or so. Class Cs in the 30- to 32-ft length will need a wheelbase much longer than the 176-inches Ford offers.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum