Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
neeliec

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
I agree with axis earl...if possible, try coming south via US 395 - you won't regret it! The scenery is topnotch, and so varied all along the way.

We did most of this trip the opposite way last fall. We went from our home in southeastern AZ to Redding, CA. We came up 395 from just outside of Barstow CA. The drive was wonderful...including a few hours of pretty barren & hot desert around Ridgecrest. We specifially stayed in Ridgecrest, which is a few miles off US 395, so we could explore the desert.

There were scattered sections of road construction all along 395, but nothing that delayed us more than 15 minutes at most.

I'd suggest coming down I-5 to Redding, then head East on Rt. 44, then a short hop on Rt. 36 & on to US 395. This is a beautiful drive on well maintained 2 lane roads, with views of Mt. Lassen and other lovely places. US 395 will take you through Susanville, then Reno, Carson City, Gardnerville, Lake Topaz, Lee Vining & Mono Lake, Lone Pine, and then Kramer Junction, where you'll bump into Rt. 58 to Barstow. You can do a lot of exploring in the desert, but seeing as you're travelling in June that might not be the most fun to do.

I'd then suggest taking US 40 to AZ 95, come through Lake Havasu City, then Parker AZ, and on to Quartzsite & I-10, then on to Phoenix.

Suggested places to stay:
JGW RV Park, Redding CA - right on the Sacramento River!!
Silver City RV Resort, Carson City NV
Boulder Creek RV Park, Lone Pine

Suggested things to see along the way:
Red Rock Canyon (west of Ridgecrest)
Trona Pinnacles (southeast of Ridgecrest)
Alabama Hills (near Lone Pine)
Manzanar Historic area (Japanese internment camp), near Lone Pine

Hope you have a GREAT trip! Just a quick question...have you been to Phoenix in June? :-)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum