Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 11:48 AM   #17
Joe-FL

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
Being a retired LEO my requirements are different as far as concealed carry. As long as I qualify on a standard course once per year at my home department I can carry in the U.S. without question, and I generally do.

This is what I would suggest to anyone traveling in an RV who desires to have the protection of a firearm. While moving down the highway you could be subject to a search under the right circumstances. If there is a loaded firearm within the reach of the driver or passenger that could very well be a violation in most states, unless of course you have some type of civilian CC permits. If you were arrested for such a violation out on the highway you would be headed to jail on a felony and your RV would be towed. Very expensive. Now, if that firearm was in a safe as someone has suggested, then no matter what it is not "within the reach" of the driver and any passengers and it would be next to impossible to be in violation in any state.

When you are set up stationary and camping your RV vehicle now turns into a "residence" and the only way it is subject to a search by law enforcement is by a warrant. There are of course other circumstances where police could go inside your RV without a warrant, for example they hear your wife screaming for help, etc...., but generally speaking the RV has all the legal protections just like your sticknbrick has against unlawful search.

I certainly do not encourage or discourage anyone from having a firearm in their RV. It is a personal decision that should be made carefully. I have investigated only a couple accidental home shootings over the years, but on the other hand I have investigated many assaults, rapes, and homicides that may have been prevented by having a firearm in the home.

I'm not as comfortable with everyone packing out in public.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum