Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > Dutchmen | Trailers and Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
Schwintek water damage

We have finally realized (Dutchmen, Me, & RV repair facility) why my bedroom slide never really slid in up against the outside wall.

WATER DAMAGE. This was created by the Schwintek bracket at the bottom corner. It was allowing rainwater to back in behind the bracket. We have the expanded OSB board. Spreading corner metal. Rusted screws and mold to prove it.

Obviously, The people that put these slides together forgot about rain and the fact these campers actually go to campgrounds in all kinds of weather......not just when it is sunny.

This is not a rubber roof that they can say something went through and poked a hole. No, this was done in manufacturing and not realizing where the rainwater would end up.

They are finally accepting that fact. Dutchmen is going to replace the bottom osb board on a front living schwintek slide for someone at the Dutchmen Forum site.

I've been 20 months trying to find the issue and now its been accepted as an issue. I have contacted Keystone. They have become the controlling management for Dutchmen.

We'll see how this plays out.

My next coach will have no Schwintek crap. Schwintek brackets create an area for rainwater to collect and create a problem.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
There has been extensive discussions on the Cross Roads forum about this issue, and what was found and done. If you're interested, either do a search there or let me know I will see if I can find it for you.

Here is one link. This guy had quite a few posts on the problem.
http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ighlight=slide
Old 11-15-2013, 02:13 AM   #3

THOR #234
Thanks Lloyd. I'm hoping that Dutchmen has finally got this one figured out. We'll see. I'll keep everyone posted.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 11-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 38GK
State: Texas
THOR #439
Hmmm,
having had that system on two 5er's I could see where water could run down the top of the bar if the slides were not all the way out or all the way in...

but wouldn't (actually SHOULDN'T ) the seals stop it from getting inside ?

Is it possible the slides are not 'flushing up' to the sides of your rv ?

good luck ! we looked long and hard at the infinity - but the wife had too much enclosure in kitchen with wrap around counters in our last one and didn't want another - but nice rv !
Old 11-16-2013, 12:31 AM   #5

THOR #234
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboytoo View Post
Hmmm,
having had that system on two 5er's I could see where water could run down the top of the bar if the slides were not all the way out or all the way in...

but wouldn't (actually SHOULDN'T ) the seals stop it from getting inside ?

Is it possible the slides are not 'flushing up' to the sides of your rv ?

good luck ! we looked long and hard at the infinity - but the wife had too much enclosure in kitchen with wrap around counters in our last one and didn't want another - but nice rv !
The damage is towards the outside wall of the slide itself. The water was able to run down the sides over the aluminum brackets of the slide and move in from underneath. It swelled the osb board or wafer board. If this board had been exterior plywood or marine board it would not have happened.

The paint job and all the closet space of the Infinity drew my wife and I in. The Redwood did not have a nice paint scheme like the Infinity at the time of our purchase. Since then Redwood has come along way. We wish they had followed through with the Carriage Resort which became the 38's.

Yes, that L-shaped counter has become a pain. We're looking into an open island like your unit. We're heading to the RV Super Show outside of Tampa in January. We'll be looking hard at DRV and Redwood 38RL or RE.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 38GK
State: Texas
THOR #439
Good luck... know how frustrating it can be --- document everything just in case you have recourse thru lemon laws or whatever....

I think I recall reading that a group of redwood owners are meeting up at the that show ...