Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-12-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 59
THOR #4397
Houston RV Show

February 15th-19th.

Anybody going? My wife and I will be there looking at the Axis/Vegas lines as well as other smallish motorhomes.

Have fun!
__________________

__________________
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:44 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
We attend almost every year, but unfortunately can't this one. However, if you find any interesting small new RVs in size range of Axis/Vegas or smaller, please post your findings here. Perhaps Thor will share information on 2018 Axis/Vegas at the Houston show. I'm in south Florida and may try to visit the Palm Beach RV Show during same period, but after attending Tampa Supershow recently it may be a big waste of time.
__________________

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
Took a quick walk through WPB local RV show and as expected didn't see anything significantly new.

The one very minor item I saw that may not be new but I hadn't noticed before was a flip-up shelf over the toilet in a Thor compact C. The bathroom layout was similar to that of Axis/Vegas 24.1.

The location behind sink is a little awkward to reach while standing at sink, but the shelf may address the lack of surface to set items in similar bathrooms.

Anyone have one of these shelfs, and does it work well? Any other thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2728.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	3996  
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
With shelf down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2729.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	3997  
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,129
THOR #1150
We did this to solve that problem:

It doesn't have the surface area of the shelf, but we can still use it going down the road.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
Yep, I recall that upgrade Jamie. It's a nice one.

At first I was thinking shelf was meant to place clothes while showering, or similar, if privacy was desired while having to leave bathroom doors closed (as when others are in motor home). But for that the toilet lid is adequate.

Because the shelf was installed at sink level (as best as I recall), I then figured it was probably meant to be as a working extension of the sink cabinet surface -- a place to set hair dryer, brush, makeup, etc...

One of the reasons my wife didn't care for the 24.1 initially was the small bathroom, in particular lack of counter surface space. She likes the 25.2 bathroom much better for that reason, not because the shower is much larger.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,129
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
At first I was thinking shelf was meant to place clothes while showering, or similar, if privacy was desired while having to leave bathroom doors closed (as when others are in motor home). But for that the toilet lid is adequate.
Yeah we use the toilet lid for that purpose all the time.
Quote:
Because the shelf was installed at sink level (as best as I recall), I then figured it was probably meant to be as a working extension of the sink cabinet surface -- a place to set hair dryer, brush, makeup, etc...

One of the reasons my wife didn't care for the 24.1 initially was the small bathroom, in particular lack of counter surface space. She likes the 25.2 bathroom much better for that reason, not because the shower is much larger.
Yeah there is No room for anything in the 24.1 bathroom LOL. We use the door in the open configuration (blocking the rest of the RV) and then use the bed for that purpose.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
....cut....

Yeah there is No room for anything in the 24.1 bathroom LOL. We use the door in the open configuration (blocking the rest of the RV) and then use the bed for that purpose.
That's relative.

The main item that makes me want a small Class A over a large Class B is the bathroom. Even the very largest Class B bathrooms are tiny compared to your Axis 24.1's.

Wet baths of all kinds that I've seen never have an adequate place to set anything down. You can shower, use toilet, or brush your teeth, but beyond that you're out of luck.

My guess is that the kitchen sink and counter in many Class Bs end up doubling for makeup and the like.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 59
THOR #4397
Yeah ... any time I looked at a Class B bathroom, I got sick trying sqeeze my 6'2 body in there. The 24.1 bathroom is small, I would like it to be bigger, but it is barely big egough for me.
__________________
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
Yeah ... any time I looked at a Class B bathroom, I got sick trying sqeeze my 6'2 body in there. The 24.1 bathroom is small, I would like it to be bigger, but it is barely big egough for me.
Yeah, it's a big limitation of Class Bs.

At Tampa Supershow Hymer had a van with a stand-alone shower that was much larger than what is normally in Class Bs, but I thought the partitions required to separate it out was way too involved and awkward to use. A standard 2' X 3' shower enclosure would have been much more practical in my opinion even if it required a longer van.

At Tampa show there was also a Class B+ that had a stand-alone 2' X 2' shower that was the smallest I've ever seen. It reminded me of showers in old submarines I've seen on historical tours. If much larger than about 150 pounds a person probably wouldn't fit. I could get inside OK but bathing would be questionable. I think I'd have to try it first to know for sure.



Anyway, did you get to Houston show? If so, anything interesting?
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:43 AM   #11
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 59
THOR #4397
I really did not learn very much at the Houston RV show. My wife, however, wants to go again tomorrow. She does not obsess about RV forums like I do ... she wants to see more in the real world.
__________________
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 59
THOR #4397
We went to the show again yesterday (Sunday). My wife (in charge of the budget comittee in our family) has decided that class A motorhomes are too expensive (we liked the Thor Axis, Vegas, A.C.E. and Fleetwood Flair floorplans). So we went back and looked at the class Cs.

We were not keen on buying a class C because we had rented a class C Sunseeker about 4 years ago. It was difficult for both of us to get in and out of the cockpit and could not walk all the way around the bed. But at the Houston RV Show yesterday, we fell in love with the Coachmen Freelander 27QB. The cutout fron the cab over bunk is just a little bit wider making it easier to get in and out ot the cockpit, and had a walk a round bed. Better yet, it has no slide to take up space and raise costs. Show price was $57k new.

Can't beat that with a stick!
__________________
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
We went to the show again yesterday (Sunday). My wife (in charge of the budget comittee in our family) has decided that class A motorhomes are too expensive (we liked the Thor Axis, Vegas, A.C.E. and Fleetwood Flair floorplans). So we went back and looked at the class Cs.

We were not keen on buying a class C because we had rented a class C Sunseeker about 4 years ago. It was difficult for both of us to get in and out of the cockpit and could not walk all the way around the bed. But at the Houston RV Show yesterday, we fell in love with the Coachmen Freelander 27QB. The cutout fron the cab over bunk is just a little bit wider making it easier to get in and out ot the cockpit, and had a walk a round bed. Better yet, it has no slide to take up space and raise costs. Show price was $57k new.

Can't beat that with a stick!
Did you buy it? I assume the 27QB is on a Ford, whereas the 27QBC is the Chevy counterpart, is that right?

That floorplan is very similar (almost identical) to the Thor Chateau 28A -- a version of which I've rented from Cruise America for long trips with other family members. Once we survived a 3-week trip with 5 adults.


It's interesting that neither Thor website nor brochures show the 28A still in production (since after 2013 or so), but just yesterday I saw a 2017 listed for sale. It appears Thor makes more floorplans than they list on brochures and web.

The 27QB floorplan looks good to me. If I wasn't looking for something much smaller I'd certainly take a look at it, as well as the mysterious Thor Chateau 28A.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #14
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 59
THOR #4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Did you buy it? I assume the 27QB is on a Ford, whereas the 27QBC is the Chevy counterpart, is that right?

That floorplan is very similar (almost identical) to the Thor Chateau 28A -- a version of which I've rented from Cruise America for long trips with other family members. Once we survived a 3-week trip with 5 adults.


It's interesting that neither Thor website nor brochures show the 28A still in production (since after 2013 or so), but just yesterday I saw a 2017 listed for sale. It appears Thor makes more floorplans than they list on brochures and web.

The 27QB floorplan looks good to me. If I wasn't looking for something much smaller I'd certainly take a look at it, as well as the mysterious Thor Chateau 28A.
We went into several Thor Chateau's at the show ... but none were the 28A. I will keep an eye out for them.

We did not buy yesterday, Texas Blue laws. We're going to take a test drive on it today at the dealer's.
__________________
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:40 AM   #15
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 59
THOR #4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
We went into several Thor Chateau's at the show ... but none were the 28A. I will keep an eye out for them.

We did not buy yesterday, Texas Blue laws. We're going to take a test drive on it today at the dealer's.
Well we testem drove it today and filled out a credit app on it (Coachmen Freelander). We filed in time to get the RV Show price of $57,900. Course we could go to MHSRV in Alvarado ... the are selling at $54,900.

This our first time to buy ... we have rented 3 times in the past and really want to own now. We would have bought around Christmas ... but ou down payment went to pay for my hip surgery instead.
__________________
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:39 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
Congratulations on finding the right motorhome, and hope everything works out great for you.
__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #17
Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 59
THOR #4397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
The 27QB floorplan looks good to me. If I wasn't looking for something much smaller I'd certainly take a look at it, as well as the mysterious Thor Chateau 28A.
BTW, we would be buying a smaller MH but the smaller MHs cost too much $$$, are way too small for my 6'2 foot
body, or both. Bigger with no slide = cheaper MH.

Have fun!
__________________
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 12:07 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
Posts: 3,931
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
BTW, we would be buying a smaller MH but the smaller MHs cost too much $$$, are way too small for my 6'2 foot
body, or both. Bigger with no slide = cheaper MH.

Have fun!
There are a lot of advantages beyond lower initial cost to going slideless.

I read an article claiming there are two advantages to slides: More room and higher resale value.

Personally, neither of these are very significant to me, so I wouldn't trade all the disadvantages (based on my likes) if I had a choice. I'm glad that some Class Cs are still being made without slides. In the last few years we've only seen a couple of new Class As without slides and they were a little too retro for our taste. Plus it had a corner bed.

The other thing that makes searching for just the right motorhome difficult for me is that when I think of not wanting a "large" motorhome, I'm not just referring to its length. Manufacturers seem to be stuck on that mindset. To most of them, a smaller Class A just means shorter.

When I walk up to most "short" Class As built on Ford F53 chassis at RV shows, and the floor inside comes up to my chest, and it takes 5 or 6 steps to get inside, I just lose all interest even before going inside. And it's not because we mind climbing stairs, which we do all the time.
__________________

__________________
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×