Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 WINDSPORT 34E
State: Oklahoma
THOR #478
2013 34E windsport plumbing

I think thor messed up big time!.
The drain for my kitchen sink and for the washer was plumbed into the front 1/2 bath black tank.
I have spoke with thor and my dealer and they both know it is a problem but neither one has a answer for the problem

Old 04-27-2014, 04:17 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
It really should not be an issue other than filling the black holding tank a bit quicker, unless the tank is fairly small.

Sometimes it is not as easy to plumb to another tank - especially if it means less square footage of living space as a result of a different location of the plumbing or tank.

If anything, more water in the black water tank might mean a cleaner tank.

You will have to empty it sooner, but that should not be an issue at most RV parks and campgrounds.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
Model: Zinger ZT26BL
State: North Carolina
THOR #91
Many rvs have sinks or showers plumbed to the black tank. That said, I'm not sure about how I would feel having my kitchen sink plumbed to my black tank (thinking sanitation issues here).
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Of course, at home, your kitchen sink is connected to the sewer line as well... so I suppose it isn't any worse than home.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

THOR #478
there are not many camp grounds that have sewer drops at each camp site so the way it is plumed every time you wash dishes you have to unhook and drive to the dump station to drain, most army corp of engioneers camp grounds allow you to drain your gray water on the ground.
there is a chase for the drain to go in all the way to the gray tank so they could have ran it correctly.
they also plumbed the washer drain to the same black tank.
apperantly mid year they changed the plumbing but are not willing to correct the plumbing in the earlyer models
Old 04-30-2014, 12:47 PM   #6

THOR #478
i read my manuals last night and it states that the sink and washer drain are gray water, yet they plumbed them to the black and it is only a 34 gal. tank
Old 04-30-2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
When I had a 32ft Carver boat, we only had a 20gal black water tank (but we were able to dump grey water over the side).

And it cost $20 to have the black tank pumped out...

I suppose it's all perspective.

You thinking of re-plumbing the sink or just living with it?
Old 05-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #8

THOR #478
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
When I had a 32ft Carver boat, we only had a 20gal black water tank (but we were able to dump grey water over the side).

And it cost $20 to have the black tank pumped out...

I suppose it's all perspective.

You thinking of re-plumbing the sink or just living with it?
i will replumb it with a Y and 2 ball valves so i can just dump the sink water on the ground when i am not hooked to a sewer
Old 06-07-2014, 05:15 PM   #9

THOR #478
update!!
I replumed the sink and is working fine now.
But now i have another problem.
The electric step shoulder bolt broke, The dealer said they break all the time ( really!! )
and of corse they didnt offer to fix it ( 0n a 2013 coach!! ) do got to Deans RV in claremore,oklahoma this is also another ited that Thor didnt stand behind either.
also the roof lader nearly fell off, keep in mind I only have 8000 miled in this RV.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:17 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Well they used to say the only thing that works on an old boat is the owner.

Seems that is pretty much true with RVs too (as soon as the warranty expires).
Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 PM   #11

State: Texas
THOR #794
2014 34E Plumbing

I have a 2014 34E where the Kitchen, half bath sink and possibly the washer drains into the mid coach black tank. After talking with Thor Tech Service twice, one said that was wrong and the last one said that it correct but Thor changed the design ONE MONTH after mine was built. Thor Engineering recommended not even thinking about re-plumbing it to drain to the gray tank. Would have to take out most of the wall on that side.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #12

State: North Carolina
THOR #607
kashbrener,
If you are not getting action on problems you think should be covered by warranty even if out of warranty time frame, write a letter to Jeff Kime ( don't know if I spelled it right) at Thor. He is the CEO of the motorcoach division. I did and got results.
tmcoc.org
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:54 PM   #13

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #1599
Hello, i was glad to find this thread! I have a brand new Hurricane 34e, and this is the first weekend we have taken it out. I was also very confused how my plumbing is connected, but determined that mine is the same! It seems the washer , mid half bath, and kitchen sink is connected to the mid black tank. I am lucky i did not flood my coach, as i had filled the fresh water tank and put bleach in to sanitize. I turned on all the faucets to drain, filled the tank again and drained that out. All the while, both black tanks were closed, and the grey valve was opened, and i assumed all water from the faucets were draining out the grey tank! I had constantly been checking the little control panel over the main door, as it was VERY cold here in Texas this weekend, and was watching the LP levels since I was using the hot water heater on LP, and the furnace. None of the holding tanks showed anything in them, as i assumed should be the case...since to the best of my knowledge, all the water was draining out the open grey valve. So after the second drain and fill of the fresh water tank, i noticed the mid toilet would not flush......water would come in when the foot pedal is pressed, but the toilet water would not flush down the drain. After thinking about things, i figured i had nothing to loose, so i empty the mid black tank......low and behold....it went wooooosh and drained for quite awhile....thats, when i realized it had been full......but the sensors never showed any tank having anything in it. Sooooo, apparently things were not changed in late 2014 models, or more likely, this is actually the correct configuration. Just glad i understand it now, and did not make a mess!!!!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:03 AM   #14

THOR #478
recall

i really think this chould be addressed and recalled, however i dont know who to complan to,to get it started.
i have talked to thor and they would not do anything.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:20 AM   #15

THOR #1599
Yes, and as a minimum, at least put some info in the owners manual so there are no surprises. I don't know if we will do much dry camping or how many rv sites we will be at without full hook ups, so i really don't know what the ramifications are for me personally yet, but it does seems a bit different than the majority of other units.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:12 AM   #16

State: Florida
THOR #2332
I believe I have the same plumbing issue. Anyone ever used the sewer solution??
Old 06-29-2015, 08:09 PM   #17

State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashbrener View Post
update!!]
I replumed the sink and is working fine now.
But now i have another problem.
The electric step shoulder bolt broke, The dealer said they break all the time ( really!! )..
I own a 2014 34E. They never changed the drain plumbing, as you were told.

However, it's never been a problem for me. I have owned other motorhomes, (also sailboats, and cabin cruisers), that also drain sinks into the black tank. I just empty the tank when it fills.

The main bolt that holds the drive sprocket broke on my steps. It actually broke during my initial shakedown trip to Fort Wilderness at Disneyworld about eight hours after I picked up my shiny new motorhome.

It was a little disheartening to hear that bolt go "thump" onto the Disney property asphalt.

Thor replaced the entire steps under warranty, (the dealer actually swapped one out from another unit), and had me driving home within fifteen minutes of arrival.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #18

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 30 RLS 5th wheel
State: Colorado
THOR #2204
My 34E Hurricane also has the kitchen sink, front 1/2 bath/toilet all dumping into the same black tank (there is no grey tank for that area. The rear full bath has both a grey & black tanks.

Still only need to dump tanks every 3 or 4 days.
I like to wander and I'm not lost!
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:36 PM   #19

THOR #4672
34E Plumbing

The mid black tank just below the toilet is only about 12 inches deep. The tank goes across to the mid black tank. I installed a flush in the narrow part of the mid tank. The flush has made it much easier to make sure the tank in completely flushed out.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:50 PM   #20

Model: Tuscany XTE 40AX
State: Florida
THOR #7078
Washer Draining to Black tank

Hello all,

just saw this thread and I hope I am not beating it to the ground, I have a 2016 Thor Tuscany 40AX ate, the other night I drained my black tank, and early in the morning when I went to use the bathroom, the indicator was yellow and when I checked the monitor, it was full, this has never happened before that I can remember, I know that the sinks are plumbed to the black tank, which doesn't make sense especially if you have a backwash process.

Has any of the owners of the 40AX xte have the same issue or am I loosing it.

Suzzanne