Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Magnitude SV34
State: Washington
THOR #25353
Actual scale weight of Magnitude

Does anyone know the scale weight of a Magnitude SV34? I have a new one waiting for me 400 miles away and I was just curious what the scale weight was. I know the GVWR is 19,500, but I want the actual empty weight and haven't been able to find it anywhere. Thanks in advance....

Old 11-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Looking like a truck stop visit to the CAT scale is on your itinerary

Sent from my SM-G970U using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 11-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #3

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
Welcome to the forum.. Enjoy
The "scale" or basic weight of each unit will vary based on construction and equipment installed. The completed vehicle with have a label showing it's carrying capacity (OCCC) based on subtracting the basic weight from the GVWR.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #4

THOR #25353
Thanks for the replies. I have a state scale just a few miles from me and they don't mind people go through for weights, so I guess that will have to be my best solution. When I pick the rig up, I'll try to get the OCCC rating. Thanks for the responses.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You at a minimum want individual axle weights. Some rigs have been extremely close to max weight on the rear axle when empty.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:16 AM   #6

THOR #25353
It will be interesting to see what the actual scale weights are. I can't quite figure out why Thor doesn't provide them. It will be a couple weeks, but I'll post the weights here.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:40 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
It will be interesting to see what the actual scale weights are. I can't quite figure out why Thor doesn't provide them. It will be a couple weeks, but I'll post the weights here.
Because of the options installed listed the order form, the actual weight is not known until the coach passes QC and is weighed,
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:54 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdub View Post
Agree, something is not right that they don't have the standard weights. I would love to see what difference you learn.

Can you post what your yellow sticker for OCCC, front axle, rear axle and psi for front & rear axles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Because of the options installed listed the order form, the actual weight is not known until the coach passes QC and is weighed,
Don't know if I follow what you saying?

Doesn't every model have a standard build. The actual weight listed would be based on standard build and posted just like standard pricing. How hard would it then be to list the actual weight for options.

ie. 2021 Xmobile RV Standard weight is 15,000 1AC 4000 Onan, but you buy the 2021 Xmobie RV with 2 ACs and 5500 Onan, that option has a price and should have a weight i.e. 400 lbs.

In fact I will take it a step further, I believe ever RV sold when being delivered to the dealer is Commercial transaction and thus Mfgs should be required by law to provide an actual approved weight of RV and front & Rear axle to be disclosed before sold. Just like odometer reading.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 03:23 AM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Agree, something is not right that they don't have the standard weights. I would love to see what difference you learn.

Can you post what your yellow sticker for OCCC, front axle, rear axle and psi for front & rear axles?

Don't know if I follow what you saying?

Doesn't every model have a standard build. The actual weight listed would be based on standard build and posted just like standard pricing. How hard would it then be to list the actual weight for options.

ie. 2021 Xmobile RV Standard weight is 15,000 1AC 4000 Onan, but you buy the 2021 Xmobie RV with 2 ACs and 5500 Onan, that option has a price and should have a weight i.e. 400 lbs.

In fact I will take it a step further, I believe ever RV sold when being delivered to the dealer is Commercial transaction and thus Mfgs should be required by law to provide an actual approved weight of RV and front & Rear axle to be disclosed before sold. Just like odometer reading.
The problem with computed weights is is there is no standard exact weight for components. Say all the 700 components used in a 35M all weigh within 0.05% of their stated weight. Suppose all the 700 components are all over by the max 0.05%. So that coach would 3.5% more than average coach. On a 10,000 lb house (we will assume the chassis all weight the same) 350lbs. Just as likely the next coach would be at the minimum weight or 350 lbs lighter than average. I am sure you would like to know the actual carrying capability and not the computed value.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The problem with computed weights is is there is no standard exact weight for components. Say all the 700 components used in a 35M all weigh within 0.05% of their stated weight. Suppose all the 700 components are all over by the max 0.05%. So that coach would 3.5% more than average coach. On a 10,000 lb house (we will assume the chassis all weight the same) 350lbs. Just as likely the next coach would be at the minimum weight or 350 lbs lighter than average. I am sure you would like to know the actual carrying capability and not the computed value.
In scenarios I described it would not be computed weights.

Scenario 1:

For Mfg of 35Ms if they have have 700 components, no more than 10 are likely options. As they make 100s of 35Ms they must know and could easily get the actual weights for a new off the assembly WITHOUT any of the options. The arithmetic average weight could be the standard if you wanted it computed. Then list all of the options separately; along with a MSRP for each option & why wouldn't they also list the impact of the weight to the standard weight.

Scenario 2:

Why not force the Mfg.'s to get actual weight of each coach before leaving the factory as part of the original documentation, or at the least require the driver to stop at a scale to get a weigh when delivering RV to the dealer? A Commercial sale / transaction is taking place; and I believe that all vehicles over 10,000 pounds that are Commercial are required by all 50 states to get a weigh (maybe not Hawaii?)

That fact that they don't do any of the above, tends to underscore another fact by correlation that the actual weights and tire pressures (from newly delivered RVs) are not viewed as important by ANY of the Mfgs, National Highway Safety Administration, nor any of the States Highway Policing authorities.

So I conclude; unless you are towing a vehicle or trailer, or carry some excessive cargo more than normal that yellow sticker is all you need to know. Still waiting to see the RV Model and the RV Mfg that has a known proven yellow sticker that is incorrectly overstating air pressure, or an actual weight from factory exceeding the allocated rear axle weight? I may buy one an sue them for selling an unsafe RV
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 11-13-2021, 03:40 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

Scenario 1:

For Mfg of 35Ms if they have have 700 components, no more than 10 are likely options. As they make 100s of 35Ms they must know and could easily get the actual weights for a new off the assembly WITHOUT any of the options. The arithmetic average weight could be the standard if you wanted it computed. Then list all of the options separately; along with a MSRP for each option & why wouldn't they also list the impact of the weight to the standard weight.

Scenario 2:

Why not force the Mfg.'s to get actual weight of each coach before leaving the factory as part of the original documentation, or at the least require the driver to stop at a scale to get a weigh when delivering RV to the dealer? A Commercial sale / transaction is taking place; and I believe that all vehicles over 10,000 pounds that are Commercial are required by all 50 states to get a weigh (maybe not Hawaii?)

That fact that they don't do any of the above, tends to underscore another fact by correlation that the actual weights and tire pressures (from newly delivered RVs) are not viewed as important by ANY of the Mfgs, National Highway Safety Administration, nor any of the States Highway Policing authorities.

So I conclude; unless you are towing a vehicle or trailer, or carry some excessive cargo more than normal that yellow sticker is all you need to know. Still waiting to see the RV Model and the RV Mfg that has a known proven yellow sticker that is incorrectly overstating air pressure, or an actual weight from factory exceeding the allocated rear axle weight? I may buy one an sue them for selling an unsafe RV
No. Let’s force RV owners to drive across all scales along the road and be inspected for safety just like any commercial truck.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

No. Let’s force RV owners to drive across all scales along the road and be inspected for safety just like any commercial truck. Manufactures provide a as finished weight and after that it’s the owner’s responsibility.
Old 11-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
No. Let’s force RV owners to drive across all scales along the road and be inspected for safety just like any commercial truck. Manufactures provide a as finished weight and after that it’s the owner’s responsibility.
I buy both of these solutions as well. If the authorities ( I hate to say the G word) but if it is deemed a safety issue by those that have the real data, I would pull over every trip as law required and get a weigh just like I take it in to get it inspected every year with proof of insurance. But if I did that; over time, I will soon realize that 100% of the time... I am never overweight with about 400 - 900lbs to spare (variability is actual count of passengers / luggage). That is how the G word evolves and become problematic for some as it may seem as a waste of money / resources.

But make no mistake, I think it borderlines criminal that all RV Mfgs are NOT required to provide the actual finished weight of what they manufacture and by axle.

RV owners should own the responsibility to never exceed the hitch rating and/or the GCVR, non RV Tow owners should own that they never exceed their GVWR or OCCC.

On a side note.

My RV is currently at the Dealer and completely empty of all cargo, dry and winterized. I am in no rush to get it back, because by design; I put it in for any service work this time of year fully winterized to coincide with all of the leaves falling at home to help minimize the leaves falling on the RV's roof I say this because if I was ever going to get a "just to know weigh"; when I get it back would be the perfect time. It just seems that for every RV and model, the data that I would be seeking should already be known. That is different than a requirement to have a RVer traveling stop to get a weigh; so G authorities can verify they are not overweight.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:52 PM   #14

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Funny thing happened on the way to the forum

A couple months ago I suggested that RV manufacturers should be required to provide the actual weights, weight ticket listing axle weights, and was poo pooed that was an unworkable and not practical suggestion. Now it seems many want the G folks to require it and even suggested that each RV owner be require to comply with commercial vehicle regulation in reference to weigh stations and weight tickets. Interesting change in opinions and suggested requirements.

I guess that if an RV owner would have to comply with that, every vehicle will have to since they are all private vehicles, not commercial vehicles. I suppose an RV could be considered to be commercial when it's manufactured and delivered to a dealer, commercial operation, but when sold to an individual for private use, that commercial designation would no longer exist. Course I'm not the "G" and I don't get to make or makeup the rules at will.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:33 PM   #15

THOR #13058
I can dig it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
A couple months ago I suggested that RV manufacturers should be required to provide the actual weights, weight ticket listing axle weights, and was poo pooed that was an unworkable and not practical suggestion. Now it seems many want the G folks to require it and even suggested that each RV owner be require to comply with commercial vehicle regulation in reference to weigh stations and weight tickets. Interesting change in opinions and suggested requirements.

I guess that if an RV owner would have to comply with that, every vehicle will have to since they are all private vehicles, not commercial vehicles. I suppose an RV could be considered to be commercial when it's manufactured and delivered to a dealer, commercial operation, but when sold to an individual for private use, that commercial designation would no longer exist. Course I'm not the "G" and I don't get to make or makeup the rules at will.
Bravo 870 Posts!!! I knew if I kept reading... sooner or later; I would get something good. You sir, have just nailed this one.

It should not have to take regulations on everybody for every RV and/or every vehicle. Normal private autos we own all have Mfg specified weight and axle limitations. Auto owners have to assume those weights specified are correct and simply take responsibility for how they load and tow their vehicles. When you break all of this down for root cause; the underlying issue is exactly as you state... RV manufacturers should be required to provide the actual weights, weight ticket listing axle weights.

Give us all a good yellow sticker and let the rest take care of itself. Armed with good information RV owners can make better choices about what they need to do as long as it is not being used for Commercial purposes.

Welcome to the bright side of life, we get poo pooed on all the time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Can you dig it.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	34792  
Old 11-13-2021, 08:36 PM   #16

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
GIVE THE "g" a hint or 2, Require the Weigh Station, tell them to charge a lot for checking compliance, with fines for not only non compliance, but high taxes for miles driven, and also the effect on the climate and fossil fuel reserves.
News media will find a poll showing you 68% of RV owners will support the mandate...
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 08:56 PM   #17

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Bravo 870 Posts!!! I knew if I kept reading... sooner or later; I would get something good. You sir, have just nailed this one.

Welcome to the bright side of life, we get poo pooed on all the time
570 posts, now 571 and you just now see something you approve of. In the words of a famous philosopher, "shame, shame, shame". You either need to read faster, maybe slower, take a reading comprehension course, or readjust your attitude. Ask me I have suggestions.

I get poo pooed enough I have to check my shoes before going in.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:18 PM   #18

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
570 posts, now 571 and you just now see something you approve of. In the words of a famous philosopher, "shame, shame, shame". You either need to read faster, maybe slower, take a reading comprehension course, or readjust your attitude. Ask me I have suggestions.

I get poo pooed enough I have to check my shoes before going in.
Full disclosure, I have not read them all nor attempted, I was just making a point to scale (reverse pun intended); of how much I agreed with your specific post #14 in this thread. My analogy might not have been the best and my apologies if read wrong.

Last year, I called the State of Oklahoma because I did not stop to get a weigh when driving through and some lights flashed. I thought I was a fugitive They told me despite the signs; I was not required to get a weigh and if I had pulled in; I would have been waved off.

We are not truck drivers, hauling raw goods, or doing anything that is commercial. Only law change really needed is exactly what you say RV manufacturers should be required to provide the actual weights, weight ticket listing axle weights. I can't imagine the typical RV owner with no toad being over weight for any reason short a possible poorly designed RV. However existing yellow sticker can you that if you look at OCCC. i.e. if is neighborhood of 1000 you may have issues.

If I were to get a toad; the weight of the toad and it's contents would be critical. For instance if I were to start pulling a tow, I would set limit of 4,000lbs (versus my 5,000 lb rating); so as to not impact my existing need for cargo.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:22 PM   #19

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
I don’t have a yellow sticker, but for 20 bucks I know my weight with tanks full and all my stuff. If I’m overweight, I’ll blame it on the wife(Ducky!). She wasn’t in it when I weighed.
Old 11-13-2021, 10:55 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
I don’t have a yellow sticker, but for 20 bucks I know my weight with tanks full and all my stuff. If I’m overweight, I’ll blame it on the wife(Ducky!). She wasn’t in it when I weighed.
I think the point assumes you have a yellow sticker, and if you do; it should include the actual mfg weight; and be accurate for any information printed on it; which I believe all are accurate until someone proves otherwise. Even if one or two were wrong in years passed, I bet if you call the Mfg they send you a new corrected one. The larger point is that most will never need a weigh once they know their true cargo carrying capacity. In 90% of our trips we have 900lbs available, and when we are fully loaded with kids family and luggage we have 400 lbs to spare.

The yellow sticker if there; should tell you all you need to know. Your lack of yellow sticker may have just proved that... You had to get a weigh to know, so you got the weigh unless you were doing something abnormal you now know you have nothing to worry about. That should be the case with every RV mfg'd and sold.

The $20 cost for a weigh is non factor or irrelevant to the point. I am 100% sure that every RV owner can afford to pay to get a weigh (even me ). Every boat I have ever owned listed all the weight by line items for my boat and trailer. My boat has options too i.e. I have tower but it is included weight from Mfg. The yellow sticker even tell me how many passengers The thought of me having to go get my boat weighed would be absurd, and I just don't follow why it is perceived so differently for RVs? When I pull my boat with my Navigator, I am over 10,000 lbs too, but no one has challenged that I get my Navigator and boat weighed. On a vacation it has may have the same 4 people and luggage.