Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 29
THOR #15962
Alignment

Well here we go. I bought a Palazzo 36.3 brand new from camping world on the 10th of July. It was pulling to the right when I drove it off down the highway. Hmmm. I talked to dealer about it and was told they can't do anything because alignment is your problem??? Ok. Sounds bad. Took it to Freightliner and 520 bucks later after realigning front and rear that was out if wack it still pulls to the left. Back to Freightliner to fix. They rotated the tires when they aligned it because it still pulled to the right. Today they said there rotating the tires again and test drive??? Has anybody else had issues with the steering on there homes?
__________________

__________________
Davie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
Posts: 916
THOR #2631
Yes I think there were some threads on that topic. Log in and do an enhanced search with your key words and see what pops up......one link attached FYI.


Palazzo Front End issue
__________________

__________________
javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,665
THOR #11130
..."I talked to dealer about it and was told they can't do anything because alignment is your problem"...

The link above references an issue the buyer found prior to purchase...amazing how much more attention you get before handing over the money! You did test drive it before purchase, right?


This is one more example of the "character change of dealers" before and after a sale.
__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Storm 32V - pre
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,580
THOR #6826
Not all dealers. Mine was very upfront about it telling me that I should do it before our first trip. Also there was a Thor sticker In the cab advising that is was my responsibility. Itís just one of many things that a new owner needs to address and spend money on.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,665
THOR #11130
Or...negotiate that in the price. Before the sale, they will do most anything.
__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 152
THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not all dealers. Mine was very upfront about it telling me that I should do it before our first trip. Also there was a Thor sticker In the cab advising that is was my responsibility. Itís just one of many things that a new owner needs to address and spend money on.
Can you take a pic of that sticker?. Mine didn't say it was "my responsibility" just that it should be realigned.

Thor found a way to blame it on Ford and rightfully so Ford said "nope" the RV manufacturer screwed up the alignment so we are stuck with it. What auto manufacturer sends a unit out not in alignment? A crappy business practice but not much we can do about it.
__________________
2018 Vegas 24.1
2006 Gulf Stream G24 Sprinter Van
2004 Newmar Scottsdale 3456
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 152
THOR #12484
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Or...negotiate that in the price. Before the sale, they will do most anything.
Thats the solution there
__________________
2018 Vegas 24.1
2006 Gulf Stream G24 Sprinter Van
2004 Newmar Scottsdale 3456
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
mountainsam's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
Posts: 890
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
Can you take a pic of that sticker?. Mine didn't say it was "my responsibility" just that it should be realigned.

Thor found a way to blame it on Ford and rightfully so Ford said "nope" the RV manufacturer screwed up the alignment so we are stuck with it. What auto manufacturer sends a unit out not in alignment? A crappy business practice but not much we can do about it.
Ford sends out a chassis not a complete vehicle. Thats what they sell to Thor. Thor piles on weight, changes balance and in some cases length. How could Ford align for those conditions. Best option is like stated previously, negotiate with dealer for a completed alignment at time of purchase. NO ALIGNMENT NO DEAL.
__________________
2017 Gemini 23TR Ford chassis w/ power stroke 3.2
DW, Daughter and 2 dogs, Sofie (black lab/boxer) and Phoebe (schnoodle)
mountainsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:50 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
pavemike's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.5
State: Florida
Posts: 219
THOR #12686
Alignment was part of our purchase agreement. They agreed to have the alignment performed and the print-out would be given to me at delivery. That way, I knew I was at least starting out with somewhat straight steering. Now I have added Safety Plus, Helwig sway bars and several road miles in the past year and a half. I plan to have another alignment at the end of the year. So far, it is still driving in a straight path.
__________________
Mike & Diane
2018 Thor Vegas 25.5
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:18 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
Posts: 546
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not all dealers. Mine was very upfront about it telling me that I should do it before our first trip. Also there was a Thor sticker In the cab advising that is was my responsibility. Itís just one of many things that a new owner needs to address and spend money on.
Same with mine. The sticker is visible along with 3 or 4 others on the wall next to the drivers seat. The salesman was quick to point it out, and since I always get an alignment after loading a new coach, it didn't mean anything to me.
__________________
Lt Keefer
2018 Hurricane 29M
CHF, Saf-T-Plus, SumoSprings
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:56 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 2018 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 152
THOR #12484
My post was confusing. Thor should be responsible for aligning these coaches after all the alterations, not Ford and not the consumer
__________________
2018 Vegas 24.1
2006 Gulf Stream G24 Sprinter Van
2004 Newmar Scottsdale 3456
2002 National See Breeze 1341
mstng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:34 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
The Gritz Carlton's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Georgia
Posts: 3,665
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
My post was confusing. Thor should be responsible for aligning these coaches after all the alterations, not Ford and not the consumer

True...at least the front end. The "two axle" alignment isn't necessary as the chassis' are built in a jig and the rear axles should be perfect. Business opportunity...open a new RV only quick alignment shop somewhere near all the plants...discount the rate...offer pick up and delivery...sell the business and retire in 5 years.
__________________
2018 THOR Chateau 35SF
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 29
THOR #15962
Well it Seems that the front still has problems. The service place it's at (Horwith Trucking Service) are doing the best at what could be wrong. They have been very friendly and constantly informing me on what they are doing. Right now they are going to have to tear into the gear box and do some tests to find what is going on. This could be a blessing in disguise as I was going down the road and the gear box totally failed. Which I doubt but still. I sent Freightliner a email and still haven't heard back from them about this problem. That was Tuesday as I had to have alignment done. Now I have another problem as a sensor on my PDF was bad. They replaced it and when road testing the steering light came back on. They are thinking wire short somewhere. Since July 10 when I bought it, it has been in the repair shops more than I have had a chance to use it. I write on this site for two reasons. Inform those that are thinking about buying, trading in for a new home ( like me) that you run the home thru the wringer, test everything out, don't let that guy who's showing the home rush it. It's a lot if money on the line buying and later like I'm going thru. Its costing me because I thought I was buying a great product. I did research and I like this unit. Second reason is Thor reads these posts. I'm hoping someone reading this will do the right thing and help me out. I personally should not be having all these issues on a brand new unit. I should be enjoying my new home traveling camping visiting etc etc not waiting for it to come out of a shop just to go back in soon to fix a windshield leak that's been over two months in and out of the shop. If I just park the unit on a site and use it it's a beautiful machine. Fully loaded with great interior design. As for driving down the road. Well you know.
__________________
Davie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:24 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Storm 32V - pre
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,580
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng View Post
Can you take a pic of that sticker?. Mine didn't say it was "my responsibility" just that it should be realigned.



Thor found a way to blame it on Ford and rightfully so Ford said "nope" the RV manufacturer screwed up the alignment so we are stuck with it. What auto manufacturer sends a unit out not in alignment? A crappy business practice but not much we can do about it.


Donít have my Freedom Elite anymore so canít take the photo. It was also in the owners manual - quite clearly as I recall. Thor claims that loading the machine by the owner will affect the alignment and therefore it canít be done except by the owner. Personally, I donít think loading would alter the alignment but that was the reason given in the owners manual. And who knows, maybe 2,000 lbs of stuff changes things?
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:23 PM   #15
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 29
THOR #15962
I find it unbelievable that loading your home Knocks the alignment out. That means every time a truck loads up he has to stop to get aligned. Yeah right. My Thor sits on a Freightliner Chassis they are working on still to this day. We are at putting shims on the idler or pitman bar depending on the one I have to raise it up to a 6.0 vs 5.6?? This coming from FCCC to see if it stops moving to left. If not a box change. Unfortunately I'm at the stage of what FCCC tells the service dept what to do to cover it under warranty. If I was paying for it I would want a new front end. I'm at the point I want a new home. As all the problems keep stacking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Donít have my Freedom Elite anymore so canít take the photo. It was also in the owners manual - quite clearly as I recall. Thor claims that loading the machine by the owner will affect the alignment and therefore it canít be done except by the owner. Personally, I donít think loading would alter the alignment but that was the reason given in the owners manual. And who knows, maybe 2,000 lbs of stuff changes things?
__________________
Davie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:24 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: chateau 23U
State: Florida
Posts: 14
THOR #1241
Caveat emptor !

Yep, been there! I even added a condition in the purchase contract that the dealer was to confirm proper balance and alignment. Upon delivery, he assumed I'd be so eager that I'd just pay and drive away, like at McDonald's drive-through. Not so.

We took a drive together and both were (way) off. I asked if he'd checked these items and (as Gomer Pyle says, "Surprise, surprise!") he said they missed that. (Excuse 9B in the RV salesperson's manual).

I got them both taken care of and THEN paid for the burgers.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
..."I talked to dealer about it and was told they can't do anything because alignment is your problem"...

The link above references an issue the buyer found prior to purchase...amazing how much more attention you get before handing over the money! You did test drive it before purchase, right?


This is one more example of the "character change of dealers" before and after a sale.
__________________
RVGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:40 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Storm 32V - pre
State: Alabama
Posts: 1,580
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGeek View Post
Yep, been there! I even added a condition in the purchase contract that the dealer was to confirm proper balance and alignment. Upon delivery, he assumed I'd be so eager that I'd just pay and drive away, like at McDonald's drive-through. Not so.



We took a drive together and both were (way) off. I asked if he'd checked these items and (as Gomer Pyle says, "Surprise, surprise!") he said they missed that. (Excuse 9B in the RV salesperson's manual).



I got them both taken care of and THEN paid for the burgers.


Not all alignment issues result in pulling to one side or other readily apparent issues. It has to be checked out properly. Obviously loading your stiff wonít change the toe or probably the castor but I can see how it might affect the camber some. In any event, itís STILL your responsibility to get it done whether you pay for it after delivery or you persuade the dealer to do it before. Personally Iíd rather take it to a proper independent alignment shop and spend the $125 to have it checked. And if Iím going to do that I might as well get it loaded first. Whatever way works best for you is fine just really recommend you make sure itís done.
__________________
Pete'sMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Pennsylvania
Posts: 29
THOR #15962
After three alignments tire rotations numerous weight shift all to no avail FCCC said shim it up from 5.4 to 6.0 on right side. Ok. This worked. She steers straight. WOW. It's a miracle. A manufacturer problem not alignment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Not all alignment issues result in pulling to one side or other readily apparent issues. It has to be checked out properly. Obviously loading your stiff wonít change the toe or probably the castor but I can see how it might affect the camber some. In any event, itís STILL your responsibility to get it done whether you pay for it after delivery or you persuade the dealer to do it before. Personally Iíd rather take it to a proper independent alignment shop and spend the $125 to have it checked. And if Iím going to do that I might as well get it loaded first. Whatever way works best for you is fine just really recommend you make sure itís done.
__________________

__________________
Davie200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×