Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2016, 04:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #3212
Danby Refrigerator not cooling

I have a 2015 Thor Hurricane with an exterior refrigerator (model DAR259BL). The unit isn't cooling, the owner's manual states there is a thermostat inside the upper cabinet but it's not there. I called Danby Customer Support and was told it's on the back of the unit!!. I loosened the screws holding it to the cabinet top but still can't get it out.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-30-2016, 05:50 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Have you had trouble with this before? Is this the first time using the refrigerator?

The first time I used my 2015 Vegas I thought there was a problem with my refrigerator not cooling. I was on shore power and had the refrigerator in electric mode. It takes the refrigerator about 3 to 5 hours to cool down. After operating it for about 1 or 1 1/2 hours check the freezer and see if it is starting to cool. The freezer colls down faster than the refrigerator. If it is starting to get cool, just be patient -- eventually the refrig will get there.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #3

THOR #3212
Thanks for the info. This fridge is a small (2.5 cu. ft.) with no freezer. All items have been in the unit for several hours (overnight), running on shore power, and they are only slightly cooler than when they were placed in the unit.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I have the same fridge in the outdoor kitchen in my Challenger. The thermostat (blue knob) is actually on the rear exterior (top left rear looking from the back) of the refrigerator. In my unit I have to remove an access panel in the bedroom to get to the back of the fridge to adjust the refrigerator,s thermostat.

Inside your coach around the area of the outside kitchen look for an access panel or cabinet bottom that can be unscrewed. It could also be inside a drawer that can be removed. The Thermostat is there you just have to determine how to get access to the back of the fridge.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:55 AM   #5

THOR #3212
Found the problem!! On left side of bed (looking from foot of bed) is the access panel. Removed the screws, found the thermostat and discovered the fridge was turned almost completely off!!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMD0205X View Post
Found the problem!! On left side of bed (looking from foot of bed) is the access panel. Removed the screws, found the thermostat and discovered the fridge was turned almost completely off!!
It's good to hear you found the temp control and that was the problem. Sounds like your access panel is in the same general location as mine.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Virginia
THOR #3801
Exterior Danby Refrigerator Thermostat Access

Thank you to providing the answer to the Danby Refrigerator Thermostat Control via the forum. (Ours was over-cooling - down to 20 degrees...) The panel to the left of the bed is the access point under the Hurricane 32N as well.

I do have a word of caution to pass along. When the panel has been removed, you may find the refrigerator is attached to the coach via L brackets that could be longer than needed. To read the thermostat, a coach owner is at risk of placing their head in a location where they could be injured by this excessive length.

My recommendation, if you feel you will need to access and view the thermostat periodically, is to remove the excessively long bracket, bend the bracket so it would no longer sticks straight out, and reattach the bracket.

I have also recommended to Thor that they include labels on the exterior of any access panel that may hide controls. This would certainly make finding these controls a lot easier...