Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2017, 11:34 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: View
State: Nevada
THOR #7987
Electrical Gremlins?

We have had our 2017 ACE 29.3 out on several trips now and are loving it. However we have had a strange problem crop up. On a recent trip it was over 100 degrees and we were transporting our grandchildren. So we decided to try the trick of running the generator and running the coach A/C off that. It seemed to work well, but when we got home we found what appeared to be dead coach batteries. Nothing would work that would normally function on battery, including the panel that shows battery strength and tank levels. We assumed that something had glitches, and just pulled it into our parking place and plugged it in to shore power to recharge. I did try to turn the battery switch off and back on, but there was not even the slightest "click" sound when I tried to do that. A few days ago we took the coach in to the dealer for some punch list warranty type work, and mentioned this issue too. They did some basic searching and couldn't find anything. So as we drove home, we were able to replicate the situation that had first occurred, thinking it might just be a freak thing. We were unable to cause the same situation, then I remembered that the first time it happened, both the inside refrigerator and outside kitchen refrigerator were on. So we turned both on, and have now replicated the results twice. This time, however we volt metered the coach batteries only to find that they both measured at 13.2 volts. On the last replication of causing the problem, since batteries were measured, I didn't plug in the shore power, and simply gave the system some tincture of time, and 4 hours later when I went to check, everything was functioning just fine, and the battery switch did exactly what it is supposed to do, making a click sound from the cellenoid and turning on everything that should function with battery. Has anyone heard of or had this issue? I know that if we make an appointment with the dealer and replicate the problem when it is there that they may be able to track it down, but since it is a 4 hour trip, if there is something simple that we can do to fix this, it would be really great. Thank you to all who scratch their heads and come up with answers that might fix this.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:45 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
batteries

it is possible that there was not enough generator amps to run the ac and charge the batteries
Old 07-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #3

THOR #7987
Good thought. We thought of that too, particularly since we couldn't get an exact replication of the symptoms the first two tries without the fridges running, the dealer said that the generator would make ample current for what we were running, though. Also, since the batteries measured at 13.2 volts with a volt meter, when the symptoms were present, we discovered that it had not actually drained the batteries as we had first assumed. Also since it self corrected given some time. Are we thinking wrong?
Thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 12:18 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Or its possible you drove it in "Store": Everything would work, especially with the generator running but the coach batteries wouldn't charge.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #5

THOR #7987
Thank you for another good suggestion. After the first occurrence, I was pretty sure that I was in "use" mode, but thought that maybe somehow it had gotten bumped or something, so after that I have double checked that we were in "use" mode instead of store. Also the fact that even with symptoms present, coach batteries are showing full charge with a volt meter would tend to discount that, I think. So we are starting with "use" mode, but at some point in developing the problem, who knows what the battery switch is doing, since when this happens the battery switch goes into non-function.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:07 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
May be a failing relay that the use/store switch controls. Heat may exaggerating the problem.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:25 AM   #7

THOR #7987
Tfryman, thanks for the thought. so the relay that is triggered by the batt switch is a cellenoid under the bed, it is by the power converter and inverter, and lots of wires. The cellenoid has a 5 amp fuse, which seems to be fine. does overheating and then self correcting when it cools off by virtue of not being used, sound like something that a cellenoid could fall prey to?