Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #1249
I'm not sure where in your RV that box is located. In the Vegas, it is located under the passenger side bunk near the fresh water tank.
The box I think you are mentioning is called a ATS or Auto Transfer Switch. It does act like a Y in that if you are running your gen., it separates the shore power from the gen. and vice versa. Do you have power when running the gen.? If you have power when running the gen., then the ATS may have failed or you have a loose connection in coach when on shore power. IIRC, there was one post on here where a ATS was bad and another post where there was a loose connection somewhere in coach when on shore power. I am guessing you checked all your breakers.

When running the gen. it takes a good 30 secs or so delay for the ATS to switch and give you 120vac. The converter is the unit that converts 120vac to 12vdc charges the house batteries etc. I'm sure some others will comment and try to help.
Good luck.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #22
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
With no power on shore power - but working on generator - and stating you already eliminated the surge suppressor - makes it sound like the transfer switch - as mcr1010 said - either bad switch or loose connection.

To go further you will likely need to open some electrical panels.
The transfer switch is likely under the bed in your rig (is on my 2014 Hurricane 32A) - you can follow the large wire coming in the side from the plug - the first device it reaches is the transfer switch.

With the RV disconnected from shore power - and generator OFF - open the cover on the transfer switch - and see if there is any visible issues (blankened from arcing, burned contacts, etc) - and try to tighten all the connections...

If you feel comfortable working with electricity - and have a voltmeter available - plug the RV into shore power and check voltage leaving the transfer switch... do the same on genny....
You should HEAR the transfer switch go from one to the other...

If you have power coming out of the transfer switch - the next stop is the breaker box... but since it works on genny - likely not the issue.

Let us know what you find.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
My control box is under the dinette seat so easy to get at. You may have a burned wire at a wire nut connection, that happened to me. Double check to make sure a breakers inside the RV that controls 110v power did not get tripped when you first plugged in. If my A/C is on and hot water on it will trip at some RV resorts depending on how good there electric is.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:19 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 29X
State: Washington
THOR #1191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwill View Post
I have a 2013 Hurricane 29x - From what I read in this post I should lift the mattress unscrew the plywood and check the converter box. I'm presently at a resort heading to Mesa and paying for power I can't use :-(. The resort power works both their 30 and 50 amp it lights up my surge protector and yes I even tried without the protector. I was working fine through power adapters down from a 110plug that is on a 20amp circuit back at home. The guy in the resort stated the converter box is wired like a "Y" where you have one leg for when the gen is running and the other leg when it is on shore power. I have now clue if that is a true statement or not. I also checked the GFCI circuit to make sure it hadn't tripped. Any thoughts in words appreciated!

thanks, Tom
Follow up - Got to Valle del Oro resort in Mesa and had a tech come out. Turns out the neutral wire on my 50amp cable was loose and fried my converter. He said I was lucky more items on board didn't het fried as having the neutral loose would allow both 110 to travel into the coach as 220. Putting on checklist to check cable connections on each plug ends!