Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk1putt View Post
We too had handling issues and wound getting the steering control, rear sway bar and Cheap Handling Fix, but gotta say that while these all helped significantly - still experienced nerve racking times with winds and passing trucks. Wound up trading our gas rig in for DP and love the ride.
Our 17 Challenger 37 TB was the same way. White Knuckle constant steering inputs, I had the front end Alligned to get it right for adding a Steering Stabiliser. Tech said it was out of alignment bad, he set the Allignment to Ford specs, it now Tracks Straight down the Lane Hands Off, with little to no effect from oncoming or Overtaking Traffic ! I still haven't put on the Stabiliser, or anything else to the Suspension. It drives great ! Just got back from a 3 hour drive from Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, like a Sunday drive !

Old 03-23-2019, 10:07 PM   #22

Model: Aria - 3901
State: Michigan
THOR #14654
I agree with the alignment before. I learned the hard way and had mine done after. The tech said it was more difficult to get proper alignment
Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #23

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Oregon
THOR #5953
I took some good advice and had the CHF applied to my new F-53 gasser at the same time I had the alignment done. The seasoned truck mechanic admitted has wasn't familiar with the fix, but had no trouble doing it while my unit was up on the jacks. I easily noticed the difference in sway on my way home.

That notwithstanding, I don't mind driving without any other stabilization, and have gotten used to the drift when a large truck passes me. I've never felt like I needed more, except for once near Indio when I got blown all over the place during a wind storm. I felt like a sailor on the high seas tied to the mast of his ship, and DW was petrified before we could make it to a rest stop for the night. I don't think any amount of stabilization would have helped in those conditions though. All part of the "RV experience".
Old 03-23-2019, 10:22 PM   #24

Model: Challenger 37BT
State: North Carolina
THOR #11321
I had our Challenger Alligned at Snider Truck Services in Hickory, NC I believe they have shops all over the USA. The Tech said most Straight Trucks, And Road Tractors are only "Ball Park" Alligned at the factory ! He says they Allign a lot of RVs !
Also for anyone considering the Safe T Plus Steering Stabiliser of your planning to be in, or near Atlanta, SafeTPlus will install, and road test and adjust their Stabiliser for free, if you purchase it there ! Free factory installation ! Can't beet that !
Old 03-23-2019, 10:58 PM   #25

Model: ACE
State: Alabama
THOR #10208
Steering Control Upgrade

I am fairly new to this forum and new to the RV experience. I purchased. 2016 ACE THOR 29.3 new. I have less than 2K miles. When towing my Jeep, I noticed a much easier drive. However, I personally installed front and rear summo springs, rear track bar, rear anti sway bar, front safe-T plus steering, front CHF, and cermatic wheel balancers. Last thing I did was weigh my RV with only a full fuel tank. Now that I know the front and rear weight, I will ensure the right tire pressure.

I test drove the rig without the TOAD and I must say, that the rig handles much better. I will be taking a 700 mile trip soon and will see if my investment pays off.

By the way, for those of you considering installing some of these, call me and I will walk you through the installs on the F53. I am 65 and did the installs myself and consider myself semi handy with tools. Also, I did the installs with the hydraulic system and jacks.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:09 AM   #26

Model: Palazzo
State: Colorado
THOR #13375
When the wind blew us into other lane I just blamed my wife , she was driving.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #27

State: California
THOR #13807
Jim,

I purchased my first Class C in 2001 on a F450 Ford frame. I just purchased a new 2019 Class C on a F350 Ford frame, and after 18 years, they have made ZERO improvements in the suspension. Still the same weak / squishy factor shocks, and the tail end wobbles back and forth when you leave a driveway onto the roadway. I'll end up making the same suspension improvements as before (Bilstein shocks / Hellwig sway bar / steering shock), but it is very disappointing that a U.S. manufacturer can't make improvements on their products. This is why I buy Honda vehicles.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:41 AM   #28

THOR #13375
Just watched install video from SafTPlus manufacturer, looks pretty straight forward. 8 bolts and your there. Question is, can I get myself under RV.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:11 AM   #29

THOR #13375
RVLife SafTPlus - myth. A YouTube video that will answer your questions .
I copied and pasted the link but it did not post. I'm having one installed before my first trip this spring.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:59 AM   #30

Model: windsport 36R
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #11273
I had CW install a saf t plus stabilize and after several seasons only to find out that they put the wrong one on. I stopped at the saf t plus shop in Atlanta where they replaced the wrong one with the correct one and adjusted it correctly. No charge. They are great people I would highly recommend them and would will use them again.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:49 AM   #31

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #8704
My first RV was an Itasca 26P class A. It was a lot of work to drive. 2nd RV was a 24' class C. I got blown around, but it was manageable. I read this forum for many hours before I bought my 2017 Vegas 24.1. I had the front end aligned with the unit loaded as I would travel. It wasn't off by much. I then followed the advice of others in the Thor forums and had the Safe T Plus installed after a unpleasant day of windy driving. Best money I ever spent. My thanks to the people in this forum who share their experiences. Helped me change out my chassis battery and my disconnect solenoid.