Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
SuperD

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I am with you on that! 5 Star Tune is the winner. I think K&N was just wasted money. It has some kind of a cold air intake The intake snorkel is going down all the way to the axle level. I assume that the air cannot get much colder, but I still don't feel any good coming from it.
IMHO there are a lot of misconceptions about K&N filters. At normal operating rpms a K&N has little effect on airflow capacity (intake vacuum). At high rpms there is better airflow and a reduction of intake vacuum, great if you are racing but not much benefit for the average driver. ( And before anyone says anything, yes I know your best friends uncle Elmo put a K&N filter in his RV and got 5 more mpg, did uncle Elmo really know how to “cipher” the math or was he running downhill the whole time?) How many RVers operate in the high rpm ranges for any length of time, I would think not to many. Filtering capacity in terms of particles captured is much lower for K&N, it just plain lets more stuff thru. Lots of studies on this if you want to look them up. Bottom line, if you’re racing get a K&N, if not stick with a good quality dry filter, it’ll filter out more crud and keep your engine cleaner.

Cold air intakes were a big thing many years back when we had air cleaners with snorkels that terminated behind the radiator, the snorkels pulled in hot air coming off the radiator, not good! For quite a number of years modern engines have uses cold air intakes, usually behind a headlight or similar place, to increase fuel economy and power. If you look under the hood of your RV I’m pretty sure that in most you will see the air snorkel in front of the radiator.

Save your money! Even if the K&N and cold air intake did give you a 1/2 mpg increase when you figure in the cost of the system vs savings at the pump you are going to end up with a net loss.

The above is again IMHO, I just hate to see my friends waste money on snake oil when they could use it for buying more useful goodies for their RV!!!

Have FUN and stay safe in 2018!!!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum