Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Great discussion.

However, you're not being completely realistic in my opinion. Not only because the technical numbers don't support it, but also because the vast majority of RV buyers would never pay the cost premium. It's nice to dream, but for now that's all it is.

As an engineer I'm all for pushing technology to the max, but at same time see that it's both technically impractical and cost prohibitive to build a motorhome that can operate as at present but fueled by the sun. I would personally settle for a motorhome that could run my A/C overnight from batteries (presently very doable), but the cost is hard to swallow even if you have lots of money to spend.

We'll get there (or mostly there) but it will be over time and accomplished in small steps. Buyers will have to first expect and want to pay a cost premium for lithium batteries, high-efficiency A/Cs, additional insulation, dual pane windows, etc.... With enough conventional improvements to make RVs much more energy efficient, I think solar can play a major role for everyone, not just those on energy diet. Presently, very few pay for alternatives when cheaper solutions work "good enough".

I'm not against what you want -- to the contrary. If I were building my own van conversion, I would not install a conventional generator. And it would be all-electric with lithium batteries. But battery charging for us (in very hot south) would come from shore power at campgrounds or while driving during the day from engine 2nd alternator. Solar would play a minimal role because I'd need the other system regardless, making solar investment a poor one for us.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum