Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2019, 07:39 PM   #22
redshift

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Maine
THOR #13246
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdpinokc View Post
Have been doing odds and ends for the last couple days on new 2018 Vegas. Have had External 30A plugged in all the time. Went to start engine and battery is dead. Tried to use Emerg Start assist as advertised and no help. Coach batteries appear to be charged. Got any suggestions on what is happening?
I've had a similar problem. None of my batteries were dead but I couldn't start the coach, nothing, no clicks, no lights on the dash. Hooked up a charger to the coach battery, turned the key, everything came to life. Not enough time to charge anything. I had it happen several times in an hour one afternoon as I was trying to get on the road.

Every time I've had a problem I've heard the sound of a relay/solenoid in the engine compartment.

I think there is a relay/solenoid that controls all chassis power. If the battery voltage drops just a little the relay drops out, everything is dead (disconnected). Connect a battery charger, the voltage comes up, the relay activates and everything lights up. At first I thought it connecting the charger alone was the critical clue. Another time I couldn't get it to start I connected to shore power, seconds later I heard the relay activate and the coach started.

This tells me the batteries are not dead, maybe a volt low, but low enough to bother whatever circuit is controlling chassis 12V. Still plenty of power to start the engine.

I think it might be on the chassis side of things.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum