Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 12:25 PM   #19
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Wiring from breaker box to bedroom ceiling for a second A/C is the very minimum that should be included.

The biggest advantage I see to this middle ground of running 2 efficient and perhaps a little lower-capacity A/Cs on standard 30-Amp service is that it eliminates the need for the larger, heavier, and higher cost generator, which can also burn more fuel at light loads. The generator is one item that’s much harder and expensive to upgrade (i.e. — going from 4,000 to 5,500 Watt Onan).

As long as the RV isn’t upgraded to 50A and larger generator, the cost shouldn’t be more than about $1,000 installed. And in my opinion, having 2 X 11,000 Power Savers in lieu of a single 15,000 has other advantages beyond extra cooling capacity that makes that a deal.

While driving it should make running front A/C from alternator and an inverter much easier.

At night while boondocking the rear A/C in bedroom should be enough, making it more fuel efficient to power one 11,000 BTU from 4,000 generator than a 15,000 BTU from a 5,500 generator.

For those who like portable generators, a single 2,200 Watt Honda or similar can run a 11,000 PS.

I’m not suggesting that having a standard 50A service with two large A/Cs isn’t great on larger rigs, but for about $1,000 I would gladly pay for the option on any motorhome the size of an Axis 24.1 or larger, particularly when bedroom can be isolated from rest of unit.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum