Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #15
Beacher

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
FWIW, although an electric heater, cheap or otherwise, may be good in some situations it is not good for all.

I'm not sure about the Hurricane, Wind Sport and others but in the Challengers we have a "wet bay" in a heated exterior storage compartment. When temps drop below freezing the furnace must run to keep that wet bay warm or we could have a frozen water pump, water filter or any number of frozen lines, valves and connections.

I know the Thor marketing videos for some models state that everything water related is inside the coach in the heated living area but that is not the case for all models.
The Hurricane and Windsport models typically have their water pump, water filter, and fresh water tank mounted somewhere within the living space of the motorhome, (sometimes under the bed like in my 34e).

They also have heated black tanks.

The water bay is also "heated" by the furnace. The heat is provided by a duct that dangles in the bay, (it's behind the water control panel).

Last summer I installed an Extend-A-Stay adapter to my main LP tank. I used it for the first time a week before Christmas. Coincidentally, when I first attempted to use the portable 20lb LP tank attached to the adapter my furnace and stove acted EXACTLY as described in the original post. However, I was able to track down my LP starvation issue to the safety POL valve in the 20lb tank.

I have a very small catalytic Coleman ProCat heater. However, I now ALWAYS carry it when RVing or car camping in Southern California in the Fall and Winter months. I was caught in the snow at Julian in a PopUp tent camper and woke up literally freezing at 3:00 am..... once.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum