Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #12
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk in sa View Post
Wow! A picture is word a thousand words as the saying goes. Thanks so much for the 3 videos. Just before you sent the videos I was poking around the internet (and thanks to one of the other guys who identified that my slideout was a Schwintek), I found a site which layed out a 5 page troubleshooting procedure. Now with all that, I shall be able to proceed with some basic knowledge. Hopefully I will get some time this week or next to tackle it. Thanks everybody.

P.S. As a suggestion to anybody following this thread, I would highly recommend you watch the 3 videos to gain some basic knowledge should you experience this potential problem.
I agree watching the videos is a great idea, but should be put in context.

I would have preferred if the third video was done on an actual motorhome rather than a simple plywood mockup. To me it appears a little deceptive.

They make manual overriding the drive look easy, but for starters the motors in an actual RV would be roughly 10-ft off the ground, so the person would be working off a 6-ft ladder at minimum.

Once the motors are disengaged, we would only be able to push the slide inward near the bottom, unlike the video where he pushes in center between the racks and also wiggles the room mockup to get drives to move.

Lastly, that empty slide-room box in video didn't appear to weigh much at all, and he still had to lean into it to get it to move. If it was a real RV slide room loaded down with furniture, appliances, and utility connections, I can't even start to imagine how many strong adults it would take to push a slide in.

I actually learned a few useful things from the videos (including the need for ladder, precut 2X4s, etc.), but we have to remember these videos are marketing tools and therefore were created in the best possible light to make the system look as attractive as possible. That's understandable, but it doesn't necessarily represent reality for many owners.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum