Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2017, 05:19 PM   #11
DenverTransplant

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
We ended up with a Bauer on our ACE 30.1 mostly because of the clearance problem cited with the RVLock. I'd found multiple posts on other forums citing clearance problems with screen door openings and wasn't excited about making those kinds of modifications.

I would have preferred the RVLock because of its greater selection of codes - The Bauer lock actually only has a maximum of 256 codes, but in reality, if someone wants in, its not very hard and they are going to destroy the door instead of trying to figure out a code. We did lose the two locking bolts, but neither would hold up to a willing crow bar.

The lock fit in the door cutout with no problems. Only issue is that one of the exterior decals was cut around the OEM door lock and the Bauer is slightly smaller. I have some thin sheet rubber and I may just cut a slightly larger "gasket" to provide a better look.

I had to use the existing door strike as Thor apparently installed the strike before mounting the door and it looked like changing the strike to the one provided by Bauer would have involved removing the door. Fortunately they are virtually identical and the Bauer lock works with the OEM door strike.

Clearance with the screen door opening for exterior door access is tight and sometimes it takes two hands, or a very contorted left hand to close the door. I may end up modifying the screen door after all.

Only problem I've had is that the lock has reverted to its default code twice. Not sure what is causing it, but if it happens again I'll be talking with Bauer about it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum