Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 05:37 PM   #9
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by swrving View Post
Yes the real-world experience is what I'm looking for.

The 2018 Thor Super C's are rated at GVWR of 19,500lbs and GCWR of 35,000lbs and Hitch Rating of 10,000lbs, so in theory what I'm asking should be possible, but would like to hear what people have actually done.

Looking up the specs of the F450 itself (one could surmise that the F550 wouldn't be less):
- A maximum gooseneck tow rating of 32,500 lbs. for the Ford F-450 Super Duty SuperCrew 4x4, with maximum fifth-wheel towing increased to 27,500 lbs.
- Maximum gross combined weight rating for truck and trailer now tops out at 41,800 lbs.

So I don't thinkn the F550's powertrain will be a limitation, rather how does the Thor Chassis with trailer behave being the telling factor.
So the real comparison would not be with gooseneck/5th wheel type towing capacities - but with what can be towed by a rear receiver in the 450/550 class... The gooseneck arrangement will always allow more - and significantly more would be my expectation...
and... looking it up:
"With a maximum towing capability of 31,800 lbs. for 5th-wheel trailers and 18,500 lbs. for conventional trailers,"
Source: https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/...DtyCC_Sep7.pdf

Take the 550 rear receiver numbers and start decreasing - you will have MUCH more distance from rear axle to hitch and starting with something that won't handle on its own anything like a stock F550...

Be great to hear what people with the setup have done...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum