Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #9
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I can't follow what Thor designers (and engineers if they actually used any, which I seriously doubt) were thinking when they develop such a motorhome.

If you start at 14,500 pounds maximum weight under ideal conditions, and then reduce that by the 1,500 pounds that the garage is rated to carry, it leaves only 13,000 pounds for the motorhome, people, their personal stuff, plus some fluids in tanks that are not normally included.

Even if it's just two adults that travel light, I'd have to guess they'd need at least 1,000 pounds for themselves and personal cargo, food, etc. That then leaves 12,000 pounds maximum for motorhome if the garage is to be usable at rated capacity.

Is that reasonable? Compared to much smaller Axis/Vegas that weigh that much or more, how can a motorhome almost 31-feet long with a larger slide be kept under 12,000 pounds?

I know that it's probably "possible" to get to maximum 1,500-pound garage rating without exceeding the 14,500-pound GVWR, but would it be practical? Would it require the MH to be essentially empty? Do most buyers have this same "overloaded rear axle" issue?

I'd bet this is a common problem, but hope I'm wrong and that Bob is an exception.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum