Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2021, 09:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #23587
Axis/Vegas Solar Controller

My first question: Does the solar controller charge the batteries only when the Master Battery Disconnect Switch is in the ON position? All documentation seems to indicate this, although it makes more sense to me to have solar charging also occur with the switch off, which would minimize parasitic loads.

Second: I can't tell if the solar controller is actually working, or if it is configured correctly.
The instructions say "Turn ON the solar charge controller." Well, it's on, so that's good, but I can't find an ON/OFF switch.
The Battery Type button cycles through 3 different voltages (14.4, 14.something and 14.9), but the actual battery type is not displayed. I left it at where I found it, 14.4.
The Power LED is flashing Red, and the Charge LED (lightning bolt) is OFF. The profile chart says this means the solar panel is weak.
Nothing changes when I switch between ON and OFF on the Master Switch, although things start happening when the generator fires up.
The display at the bottom shows "LiFeP04" - PO4 is not a listed mode in the docs.
I'm wondering if the panel is simply not connected to the controller...

Old 05-30-2021, 09:13 PM   #2

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Typical RV solar goes from roof to controller to batteries
The USE/STORE switch is irrelevant to whether the batteries are being charged. That is, the batteries will always be charged in sunlight via solar.

The beauty is:
- For those parking in a storage lot or on their own property without any shore-power...you can switch to STORE and the batteries stay “topped-off” via solar
Old 05-30-2021, 10:51 PM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I have a 100 watt panel and the Go Power controller on my 2021 Axis 24.1. The controller output is wired directly to the batteries so the battery disconnect switch has no effect.

Also my controller, the Go Power 10A unit, shows the amperage sent to the batteries in bold lights.

Finally, there is an AGM, FLA (not sure if there is a GEL setting) indication in very small, dim lights underneath the amperage display.

David
Old 05-30-2021, 11:39 PM   #4

THOR #23587
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Typical RV solar goes from roof to controller to batteries
The USE/STORE switch is irrelevant to whether the batteries are being charged. That is, the batteries will always be charged in sunlight via solar.

The beauty is:
- For those parking in a storage lot or on their own property without any shore-power...you can switch to STORE and the batteries stay “topped-off” via solar
That's my situation - storage lot, uncovered. Good to know I can shut off the switch.
Old 05-30-2021, 11:42 PM   #5

THOR #23587
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
I have a 100 watt panel and the Go Power controller on my 2021 Axis 24.1. The controller output is wired directly to the batteries so the battery disconnect switch has no effect.

Also my controller, the Go Power 10A unit, shows the amperage sent to the batteries in bold lights.

Finally, there is an AGM, FLA (not sure if there is a GEL setting) indication in very small, dim lights underneath the amperage display.

David
And your red and blue LEDs are lighted normally?
Old 05-31-2021, 02:22 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philo Gemstone View Post
And your red and blue LEDs are lighted normally?
Yes.

David