Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Motorhome Tech Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2021, 02:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Slide operation with engine on or off

So it seems that some slide systems in some coaches require the motor running in order to operate the slides. Other require that the motor is off. Does anyone know the reason for this if the slide system is electric? This seems to go back several years flip flopping so I don't think it is purely having the engine running provides more juice as they all would have migrated to engine on. Is it a feature of the controller?

Old 12-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
No clue.

I can see having the engine running with the OLDER hydraulic slide systems, just like hydraulic leveling systems (although nowhere near the load on the hydraulic motor).

Having the key OFF interlock prevents you from moving the slide while the RV is moving - I get that.

But the interlock to have the engine running on the same slide system makes no sense at all.

Supposedly, it's to increase the voltage for the slide motors while operating (using the alternator and the BIM), but according to the BIM manufacturer, the BIM disconnects after an hour of charging anyway, so you pull into a campground after driving for several hours and the BIM doesn't even have the two systems connected when you deploy the slide.

Regardless, due to the size of the slide motors, gearing and wiring, they really are not much of a load while operating anyway. On my full wall slide they pull 10 amps while moving the slide - not really much of a voltage drop from the batteries with that minor load.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:43 PM   #3

THOR #19102
I wonder if some controllers require more power than others.

I also wonder if it's because some people ignore their batteries.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:09 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
So it seems that some slide systems in some coaches require the motor running in order to operate the slides. Other require that the motor is off. Does anyone know the reason for this if the slide system is electric? This seems to go back several years flip flopping so I don't think it is purely having the engine running provides more juice as they all would have migrated to engine on. Is it a feature of the controller?
don't know but mine requires the engine to be running. The firefly screen has icons with the locks.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
My slides will not operate with the engine running. I thought it was a safety feature but I could be wrong.

Paul
Old 12-23-2021, 05:41 PM   #6

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
My slides will not operate with the engine running. I thought it was a safety feature but I could be wrong.

Paul
Funny right: mine has to be on and braking brake engaged.
Old 12-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Not sure if this is definite or not.

Older RV didn't require engine on to operate slides. They relied on the user to make sure the house battery was charged enough to ensure proper operation of the slide.

Newer models programmed in the requirement to have engine running to operate slides. This is to be sure the voltage is high enough so keep the slide motors in sync.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:03 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37 GT
State: Wisconsin
THOR #24266
I have been having a discussion with an owner on FB about this. Based on what I read here, Thor has flip-flopped back and forth on this. In our 2016 Challenger, the key MUST be OFF. or the slides will not move. With 4 - 6 volt batteries, generator or shore power, I never have any issues running slides. I am assuming that if you can or have to have the engine running, Thor has redesigned the safety interlock system so the slides cannot be operated if the transmission is not in park or the emergency brake is not set. Similar to our jack system. Love this site as I learned something to day - Cool!
Old 12-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by twopetes1@charter.net View Post
I have been having a discussion with an owner on FB about this. Based on what I read here, Thor has flip-flopped back and forth on this. In our 2016 Challenger, the key MUST be OFF. or the slides will not move. With 4 - 6 volt batteries, generator or shore power, I never have any issues running slides. I am assuming that if you can or have to have the engine running, Thor has redesigned the safety interlock system so the slides cannot be operated if the transmission is not in park or the emergency brake is not set. Similar to our jack system. Love this site as I learned something to day - Cool!
On most gas Thor MC coaches the parking brake inhibits the jacks and the ignition switch that inhibits the slides and patio awning. I think the old Rapid Camp module required different inhibits. On the diesel coaches Thor MC seems to have switched to using the parking brake as the inhibit for all things or it could be that those coaches use air bags and require the bags be inflated for the slides to be used. Now that all coaches use a computer controlled interface the inhibit system has changed also.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:10 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
If I may add to the confusion there also something in between as my engine motor can be on or off

In my case, and reminder I am SOB; for slide to extend or retract; two things must be true.

1. Park Brake MUST be Set
2. Key MUST be in Ignition

IMO, the Park Brake is to ensure safety, but I will not tell you if I have ever starting driving my RV with park brake on or not

Putting the Key in ignition is Security so no one can just press the button for slides to extend or retract unless someone with access to the key approves.

In addition to the above, the manual does recommend that you extend or retract with engine running, but you are not required. If I have Shorepower or Generator running I will not start the engine, If I don't I always start the engine just to ensure I have maximum juice. I am not worried that the batteries could handle it, it is just the preferred method.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #11

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by twopetes1@charter.net View Post
I was a part of that discussion as well up to the point that the op only wanted to hear what she agreed with. Once she pulled the gender card I gracefully bowed out.

That conversation is what lead to me starting this thread. According to her, thor found that low voltage provided by the house batteries caused slide malfunction such as the slide coming in sideways and stopping middle way. They then decided to make it so that the engine needed to be running in order to operate the slides.

However, as others have said in this thread, the slide motors do not require that much power to operate so I wonder what the real reason is.

From my manual:

Low Voltage
The Lippert IN-WALL® Slide-out Controller is capable of operating the room with as little as 8 volts. But at these lower voltages the amperage requirement is greater. Check voltage at the controller, see Figs. 2 and 5 for the location of power connections. If the battery is low, it needs to be charged or the unit should be plugged into shore power or the generator can be run, if equipped. It may be possible to "jump" the RV's battery temporarily to extend or retract the room. Consult the RV manufacturer's owners manual.
Note: Always connect directly to the battery and never to the controller power connections.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:34 PM   #12

THOR #6411
Quote:
I was a part of that discussion as well up to the point that the op only wanted to hear what she agreed with. Once she pulled the gender card I gracefully bowed out.

That conversation is what lead to me starting this thread. According to her, thor found that low voltage provided by the house batteries caused slide malfunction such as the slide coming in sideways and stopping middle way. They then decided to make it so that the engine needed to be running in order to operate the slides.

However, as others have said in this thread, the slide motors do not require that much power to operate so I wonder what the real reason is.
According to LCI the controller needs 8 volts to operate. Not so fast- the controller lowers the voltage to the faster moving end of the slide to keep them in sinc. This can make a motor stall causing cocking problems and the controller will stop the slide movement and show an error. Thus the more voltage the better especially for a long heavy slide.
Old 12-23-2021, 10:09 PM   #13

THOR #19102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
According to LCI the controller needs 8 volts to operate. Not so fast- the controller lowers the voltage to the faster moving end of the slide to keep them in sinc. This can make a motor stall causing cocking problems and the controller will stop the slide movement and show an error. Thus the more voltage the better especially for a long heavy slide.
So do you think this is why thor changed the interlocks to engine on?
Old 12-23-2021, 10:28 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
This subject can be debated for years. Maybe the build crew reversed the wires! He’ll, who cares. Figure out how yours works and do it that way. Don’t make a 500 post thread out of this.
Old 12-23-2021, 11:28 PM   #15

THOR #6411
Quote:
So do you think this is why thor changed the interlocks to engine on?
No, it think it was to be compatible with the FireFly, or other central control panel. When you getaway from individual circuit and manual switches, the way the wiring harness made for the coach has to change significantly. This requires an entirely new harness and control points. Sorta the difference between a 1990 high end car and a 2021 one with the CAN buss electronics. You don't need a relay and inhibit circuit, you just have the control computer ask several other computers what their states are. This allows remote touch panels and software updates when necessary rather than rewiring the coach. Thor engineers state going from hard wiring to buss style wiring on a Windsport 35C saved several miles of wire and dropped the man hours to make the harnesses by 40%.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #16

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
Conspiracy theory

Could it be in the newer units you can operate the slides with a smart system (internet, WiFi and Bluetooth). Maybe will help prevent someone from opening them via remote while driving down the road.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamprunty View Post
Could it be in the newer units you can operate the slides with a smart system (internet, WiFi and Bluetooth). Maybe will help prevent someone from opening them via remote while driving down the road.
You got it backwards. The newer ones require the engine to be running.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 08:15 PM   #18

Model: Magnitude RB34
State: Montana
THOR #2531
That’s a part of my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
You got it backwards. The newer ones require the engine to be running.
Running but emergency brake on. Also since it has to be running you won’t be sleeping some night and have the slides come in. The conspiracy continues…Muhaha
Old 12-29-2021, 08:28 PM   #19

Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
Either on or off

I can operate my slide with the engine on or off. All that I have to have is the coach power on.
Old 12-30-2021, 02:39 AM   #20

Model: Tuscany 44MT
THOR #22909
My Coach has 3 slides; full wall and front passenger-hydraulic; BR-electric. Any operation in or out requires motor to be running. Same with leveling system.