Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2024, 08:25 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Alabama
THOR #31630
Outdoor Shower Door Lock

Before you yell at me I know these things are stupid simple and this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but while winterizing my 2020 Crossroads Zinger 298bh, I came across the issue and thought I'd share my problem and fix with anyone that might be interested.
So I went to open the outdoor shower door and the lock wouldn't turn. I messed with it for a while and noticed the "Barrel", (outside chrome part of the lock mechanism) was turning inside the hole.in the plastic door about 30 degrees. I sprayed a little wd-40 in the keyhole and it opened. Obviously it was oxidized from us not using it (ever), and just needed a little lube to free it up. While I had the door open however, I noticed the nut on the threaded barrel of the lock was a little loose (the reason it was turning 30 degrees) so I held the key in the lock and gently tightened the barrel nut until fairly tight. When I pushed the door shut and locked the lock there's no more movement of the barrel part of the lock. The last thing I did was press a tiny amount of Vaseline into the keyhole to help keep it lubricated.

Old 01-15-2024, 08:49 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #30073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
The last thing I did was press a tiny amount of Vaseline into the keyhole to help keep it lubricated.
Good move, but mine was totally corroded and unusable. Bought a whole new lock & key assembly from local locksmith for around $6 +/-
Old 01-15-2024, 09:05 PM   #3

THOR #31630
In the beginning I thought I wouldn't even be able to open mine, I got lucky I guess. As far as I know that door had never been opened.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:25 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
I open the door to drain all the water when I winterize the coach. We go to the Gulf often in the spring and fall and it great to wash the sand of the legs and feet before going in.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 11:14 AM   #5

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
Before you yell at me I know these things are stupid simple and this has probably been discussed elsewhere, but while winterizing my 2020 Crossroads Zinger 298bh, I came across the issue and thought I'd share my problem and fix with anyone that might be interested.
So I went to open the outdoor shower door and the lock wouldn't turn. I messed with it for a while and noticed the "Barrel", (outside chrome part of the lock mechanism) was turning inside the hole.in the plastic door about 30 degrees. I sprayed a little wd-40 in the keyhole and it opened. Obviously it was oxidized from us not using it (ever), and just needed a little lube to free it up. While I had the door open however, I noticed the nut on the threaded barrel of the lock was a little loose (the reason it was turning 30 degrees) so I held the key in the lock and gently tightened the barrel nut until fairly tight. When I pushed the door shut and locked the lock there's no more movement of the barrel part of the lock. The last thing I did was press a tiny amount of Vaseline into the keyhole to help keep it lubricated.
The very first mod I made to our Quantum was to remove the lock on the shower door and replace it with one that does not use a key. Who wants to have to dig out a key every time you want to use the outside shower. I use it all the time to wash my hands after handling the sewer stuff. I even replaced the RV shower head with a pistol grip hose sprayer.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 02:44 PM   #6

THOR #31630
We just bought this one last may and went to Ft Walton on our first trip but we went for a convert and didn't make.it to.the Beach. Next time. Im sure we will.use it, we just haven't so far.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:46 PM   #7

THOR #31630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
The very first mod I made to our Quantum was to remove the lock on the shower door and replace it with one that does not use a key. Who wants to have to dig out a key every time you want to use the outside shower. I use it all the time to wash my hands after handling the sewer stuff. I even replaced the RV shower head with a pistol grip hose sprayer.
This actually sounds like a great idea, this spring I'll see what I think of it may make the same mods.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:10 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I put one of those oxygenics heads on mine...gives a stronger blast
but I do find it a bit big for the locker space, and have thought that I'd like something a bit better. Maybe a hose end sprayer would be just the ticket, good idea!! I'd like the trigger or handle on/off control.

Mostly use ours for washing the dogs feet...and when we go to the beach
Old 01-16-2024, 10:45 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Power graphite best lube for locks
Old 01-17-2024, 11:26 AM   #10

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
I put one of those oxygenics heads on mine...gives a stronger blast
but I do find it a bit big for the locker space, and have thought that I'd like something a bit better. Maybe a hose end sprayer would be just the ticket, good idea!! I'd like the trigger or handle on/off control.

Mostly use ours for washing the dogs feet...and when we go to the beach
You need one of these:
https://tinyurl.com/yncsezc6

I used something like this for the pistol grip hose sprayer:
https://tinyurl.com/yp7k7doh

If I position it just right I can close the door to the shower. This works great when you want to wash your dog's feet, etc. because you can select a spray pattern. Also we sometimes remove the pistol grip and attach a hose putting the pistol grip on the other end of the hose. We can then reach the tailgate of our truck and give the dog a bath up on the tailgate.
Old 01-17-2024, 08:01 PM   #11

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
You need one of these:
https://tinyurl.com/yncsezc6

I used something like this for the pistol grip hose sprayer:
https://tinyurl.com/yp7k7doh

If I position it just right I can close the door to the shower. This works great when you want to wash your dog's feet, etc. because you can select a spray pattern. Also we sometimes remove the pistol grip and attach a hose putting the pistol grip on the other end of the hose. We can then reach the tailgate of our truck and give the dog a bath up on the tailgate.
I'm in the middle of a project on the rv (just stripped the swoosh stickers and trying to figure out if I'll paint it or what...) In the process I plan to replace most all the stuff such as this shower door. When I do it, I think I'll use a hose sprayer like that instead of a shower head.

How well does it work when using the onboard water pump? I wonder about low-ish pressure and low flow rate....

I'll also probably replace the lock with a combination lock.... a few times...wanted to use it but didn't have the key handy. In fact its crossed my mind to just put a non-locking thumb latch on it...as Bon Nodine suggested.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:34 AM   #12

THOR #21926
Quote:
I'm in the middle of a project on the rv (just stripped the swoosh stickers and trying to figure out if I'll paint it or what...) In the process I plan to replace most all the stuff such as this shower door. When I do it, I think I'll use a hose sprayer like that instead of a shower head.

How well does it work when using the onboard water pump? I wonder about low-ish pressure and low flow rate....

I'll also probably replace the lock with a combination lock.... a few times...wanted to use it but didn't have the key handy. In fact its crossed my mind to just put a non-locking thumb latch on it...as Bon Nodine suggested.
Ours works great on the pump but we have upgraded the pump and installed a bladder tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remco 55Aquajet-ARV in Quantum JM31.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	44803  
Old 01-21-2024, 05:42 AM   #13

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Quote:

How did you go about stripping the stickers off? We're ready ...just need the know how! Haven't decided what to do after, just want them off.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:47 AM   #14

THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMott View Post
How did you go about stripping the stickers off? We're ready ...just need the know how! Haven't decided what to do after, just want them off.
Well...I ended up renting a hot water pressure washer and blasted them off.
Caused quite a bit of damage in the process...but hey, they're off.

I had experimented with lots of methods. I found a few that would work but were slow going. Found that with the right scraper blade on an oscillating tool, I could lift them...but if not careful...or when the blade got a little dull or dirty it would scratch the surface. Still, it was slow going as well as damaging.

I still need to go over the whole thing with lacquer thinner to get all the sticky residue off. That's the only solvent I've found that'll cut it. After that, I need to go around and fix all the surface 'cuts' I made with the pressure washer and figure out if I'm going to have to paint the whole rig or if I can get away with some polish. The thinner cleans off the oxidation pretty well, making it look a lot better...I think paint will mostly just depend on how I end up fixing the damage.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:39 PM   #15

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Quote:
Well...I ended up renting a hot water pressure washer and blasted them off.
Caused quite a bit of damage in the process...but hey, they're off.

I had experimented with lots of methods. I found a few that would work but were slow going. Found that with the right scraper blade on an oscillating tool, I could lift them...but if not careful...or when the blade got a little dull or dirty it would scratch the surface. Still, it was slow going as well as damaging.

I still need to go over the whole thing with lacquer thinner to get all the sticky residue off. That's the only solvent I've found that'll cut it. After that, I need to go around and fix all the surface 'cuts' I made with the pressure washer and figure out if I'm going to have to paint the whole rig or if I can get away with some polish. The thinner cleans off the oxidation pretty well, making it look a lot better...I think paint will mostly just depend on how I end up fixing the damage.
Awesome reply and feedback! We just purchased some scrapers and were thinking a heat gun. Hadn't considered a high pressure washer...we have one though. Good luck on your repairs and painting.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:06 PM   #16

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
X 2. With replacing it with a non keyed tumbler

Tags
lock, outdoor shower, shower, stuck lock, winterize