Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2022, 01:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: North Carolina
THOR #27581
2023 Thor Tuscany 40RT front jack pad replacement?

I got some SnapPad jack pads for my coach and need to replace the front feet. The rear ones are 12” and are nice and flat so I got those on pretty easily. However the front 9” ones are dished out so will not work. According to the dealer all new units come with these dished style feet which seems pretty silly to me. At a myrtle beach they just dug holes in the ground! Rear feet with the snap pads were great.

SnapPad told me to get new front feet which I ordered but can’t figure out how to remove the old ones and install the new ones. I have the correct size socket and torque wrench however when I spin the bolt the entire leg spins? And the feet are also loose on the leg and spin as well. What is the process to remove these feet? So not sure how I am supposed to stop the leg from spinning so I can get leverage on the bolt to remove it? A big pipe wrench perhaps? Something else?

Attached is a photo of the dished feet (which seem wrong to me but what do I know?). They dig nice holes in hard packed dirt and probably put nice dents into asphalt. Lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8702329-F256-4EFD-B64F-E344BF8DC8AE.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	39232  

Old 08-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #2

Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
THOR #12726
Is the bottom of the ram shouldered to use a wrench to keep it from turning, I wouldn’t use a pipe wrench on ram, if you mark it up it will leak, maybe hold the pad or make sure jacks are fully retracted
Old 08-30-2022, 12:44 PM   #3

THOR #27581
I called LCI and they said a pipe wrench with a towel would work but they are generally removed and installed with an impact wrench not a torque wrench. So I got a pipe wrench and took my impact wrench and removed them. But I didn’t need the pipe wrench anyway. There is enough resistance in the shaft that it only rotated slightly while the impact wrench worked, so that was the solution.

The biggest problem is those 9” LCI pads are a joke on a big class A coach. I got the snap pads on and headed to the race track and set up camp on normal ground and the instantly dished out again. Might see if there is clearance to install some 12” pads instead as those don’t seem to get dished out, or get a set of stronger after market ones. I did email LCI about it so we will see what they say. I don’t think they will reply as this is apparently a well know problem that’s been going on for years. So much so that all new units at my dealer show up dished and they thought that was the new style of pad.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:15 PM   #4

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I have 12" pads and they still sink in the ground. Then they have dirt and gravel fall on top of the pad requiring removal

My solution for gravel or dirt is 2"x12"x3' treated lumber planks front and rear
Old 08-30-2022, 01:27 PM   #5

THOR #27581
Yeah I have 12” on the back with jack pads and that helps a lot. Might just get some wood planks also and throw them in the storage bays.