Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2024, 11:34 PM   #1

Brand: Crossroads
State: Texas
THOR #29917
Which class "A" ?

Been looking at class A's. Started with the Winsport, seemed kinda cheaply made. Now I'm in a toss up between Mirimar 34.7, Resonate, Luminate and so on and so on. Can someone set me straight on the quality levels on these various units. Beside the 10-30k jump between the various models, trying to get it right the first time. Want 1.5 baths, no bunks, quality motor/chassis and NEW.

Budget is around 150k. Thus the Mirimar hit the sweet spot at around 140k.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:55 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
I do believe quality motorhome is something of an oxymoron. And at 150K, I certainly would not expect anything out of the usual boxful of problems that come with a new one. They are just longer with another slide, paint and more decals. When you spend enough to get a diesel you get a better chassis, for sure. If there is any real difference in how they build them or even much in materials it is from 250-300 and up.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:18 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
We bought a new 2020 in fall of 2019. Personally I would NOT buy a new motorhome today. Since the 2021 model year, quality has really taken a nosedive.

For the size and budget of MH you're looking for, you probably could get a very nicely maintained smallish diesel class A... BUT, you'll really need to know exactly what you're buying.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:23 AM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
If Thor's quality took a hit in '21 it must be really bad. They were never known as a quality manufacturer. There corporate model is to buy financially troubled RV companies, lower quality standards then ride it till the wheels fall off.
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:39 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
If Thor's quality took a hit in '21 it must be really bad. They were never known as a quality manufacturer. There corporate model is to buy financially troubled RV companies, lower quality standards then ride it till the wheels fall off.
A boss I had pre- 2000 had the "run it until it breaks" mentality. Maintenance wasn't a word in his vocabulary.

I think a version of that concept has infected much of the RV industry. Profit is king at the expense of everything else... build it as cheap and quick (low labor cost) as humanly possible - even quicker by taking shortcuts, AND IT SHOWS in the end product.

But... as long as people are buying... and there's no competition to force change (like what happened to the U.S. auto industry) Nothing, nada, zip will change. And the ironic thing is I KNOW Thor reps read these comments!
Old 02-25-2024, 01:34 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJuice View Post
I do believe quality motorhome is something of an oxymoron. And at 150K, I certainly would not expect anything out of the usual boxful of problems that come with a new one. They are just longer with another slide, paint and more decals. When you spend enough to get a diesel you get a better chassis, for sure. If there is any real difference in how they build them or even much in materials it is from 250-300 and up.
Hey hey my GAS 2020 Vegas has served us well for 4 years.
36,000 miles. 25+ States. Snow,etc
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:35 AM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
We bought a new 2020 in fall of 2019. Personally I would NOT buy a new motorhome today. Since the 2021 model year, quality has really taken a nosedive.

For the size and budget of MH you're looking for, you probably could get a very nicely maintained smallish diesel class A... BUT, you'll really need to know exactly what you're buying.
If we upgrade it is the 30ft Newmar Baystar
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 01:47 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwalther View Post
Been looking at class A's. Started with the Winsport, seemed kinda cheaply made. Now I'm in a toss up between Mirimar 34.7, Resonate, Luminate and so on and so on. Can someone set me straight on the quality levels on these various units. Beside the 10-30k jump between the various models, trying to get it right the first time. Want 1.5 baths, no bunks, quality motor/chassis and NEW.

My suggestion would be to stay away from any Thor with a full wall slide.

We had a Challenger 37ND for 5 years and it was a triple slide unit and virtually problem free the entire time.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:52 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
If we upgrade it is the 30ft Newmar Baystar
We looked a Baystar originally, they were very nice, but I could NOT find a BayStar without outside kitchen / TV etc. No way I would buy an RV without one for what we do.

Did they make a change and add an outdoor setup for what you are looking at?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:18 AM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:

For Class A.... In 2018 we started with ACE 29.3 All had good pricing but never found one that passed our newbie PDI ( I can only imagine if I had hired a professional). In 2019 TMC stopped making the ACE29.3. We then passed on considering the 29M Windsports & Hurricane because it was about 15" too long for where we plan to keep it. So we settled on Winsport 27B the price was not that much different, but the fold up bed was always a concern. It didn't matter because we had 2 of the brand new 27Bs that never passed our PDI and one brand new 27B at another dealer that the Dealer even acknowledged was not in a saleable condition. But TMC stopped selling those too We ended up with another brand.

My advice to you. Pick either the Miramar 34.7, Resonate, or Luminate which ever floor plan you like the best. Once done go on a mission to find one that meets your Quality standard. If you have doubts hire a Professional to review the coach that you believe has passed your standards. Prepare to spend a lot of time to review and confirm everything before committing to buy. Assume nothing, take lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and use this forum. If all is a go; I would NOT hesitate and buy a brand new TMC RV of your floorplan choice.

FWIW, I would do the same even if buying a used one. I was told by many to by a used one of the coach I wanted, in some cases the used ones were higher than new. I am glad I didn't listen. When I buy used, it is for the sole purpose to save money, not to buy something that I believe quality is so bad that I need to buy one from someone else has already fixed the issues.

Note: There are PDI Guides on this forum that help you with what to look for. I used the Felkner Vegas Manual for by WBGO PDI. I did everything in that guide except for the Roof stuff in about 6 hours.

There is also a Sticky Thread written by a Senior Poster call Judge that thread you should find and read BEFORE doing anything. Hopefully you find the link or someone provides for you.

Good luck

DISCLAIMER: FWIW and in my opinion, none of the RVs that we reviewed to buy that failed our PDIs were due to any so call TMC quality defect. All our issues that we believed were failures, neglect, or damaged were caused while on the Dealers lot or Dealer's possession.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 02-25-2024, 03:23 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Welcome aboard by the way.
Here's my opinion FWIW. Look for a few year old unit. Most of the bugs should be worked out of it by now. If you are uncomfortable with doing it or not knowledgeable enough to do a thorough Pre-Delivery Inspection, you can hire a professional as suggested by DK.
During the peak of Covid every mother lover and their cousin bought an RV figuring it was the best way to travel and stay "socially distanced". Many of those folks have gotten over RVng and are back to staying at the Holiday Inn.
With your 150K budget a savvy shopper can find a gem out there in the used market.
Keep us posted on what you end up with. Good Luck & Safe Travels!
Mark
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 11:48 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
We looked a Baystar originally, they were very nice, but I could NOT find a BayStar without outside kitchen / TV etc. No way I would buy an RV without one for what we do.

Did they make a change and add an outdoor setup for what you are looking at?
I was told Newmar doesn’t do outdoor kitchens.
Old 02-27-2024, 09:20 PM   #13

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #31059
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My suggestion would be to stay away from any Thor with a full wall slide.

We had a Challenger 37ND for 5 years and it was a triple slide unit and virtually problem free the entire time.

I've seen several posts about Thor and not purchasing one with a full wall slide out. Guess we didn't do our research. Purchased a 2024 Thor Freedom Traveler A29 with a full slide. Uh oh. We also had some quality issues, but slowly getting them resolved. Just little stuff, but for the price you pay for RVs it's ridiculous.
The dealer should have realized some of the obvious ones since they sell xx number of the same brand, but they're just interested in smiling, saying the right stuff and getting their commission. Once you sign those papers, you never hear from them again.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:24 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 32N
State: Arizona
THOR #23246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnamae View Post
I've seen several posts about Thor and not purchasing one with a full wall slide out. Guess we didn't do our research. Purchased a 2024 Thor Freedom Traveler A29 with a full slide. Uh oh. We also had some quality issues, but slowly getting them resolved. Just little stuff, but for the price you pay for RVs it's ridiculous.
The dealer should have realized some of the obvious ones since they sell xx number of the same brand, but they're just interested in smiling, saying the right stuff and getting their commission. Once you sign those papers, you never hear from them again.
Mine is a full wall slide and never has given me a problem. It does creak and groan a bit but always opens and closes smoothly. The overhead bunk - well that's another story. Other things that have busted - the furnace, a/c fan noise, battery isolator relay, and the jacks are just a royal pain in the arse with their false down alarms, beeps, terrible auto level etc. All of these are not specific to Thor or even to the RV class or cost.

One really needs to learn to fix things themselves - even if under warranty - because it's always something and you can't/don't want to run to a backlogged dealer with everything. Fortunately almost every fix is on YouTube.
Old 02-27-2024, 11:01 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:

Thor MC has currently 6 operating plants. Each plant is its own entity. Of the class As, Windsports, Hurricanes, Resonates and other smaller coach are manufactured in plant 750 on an assembly line. All other class A coaches 34 ft and longer, gas and diesel, are manufactured in place, in plant 850. There are only three large manufactures of class A gas coaches: Forest River, Thor Inc and Winnebago.
I too, would stay from Schwintek full wall slides with heavy items on the slide washer-drier, fridge, etc.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 12:26 AM   #16

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
We are on our 2nd Thor motor home. The first was a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS built on a MB Chassis. We bought it brand new in 2018. We then traded it in for our current 2022 Thor Miramar 37.1 which we also bought brand new in 2022. It has 3 slide outs which aren't a full side slide out. We had trouble with one slide out this past summer but got it resolved. I have to agree that the varoom slide out system is a much better system but it is expensive to have installed. As far as I am concerned, I have been very happy with Thor Products and would not hesitate to buy another coach from them. We are very happy with our 2022 Thor Miramar 37.1.

Paul
Old 02-28-2024, 01:02 AM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
We are on our 2nd Thor motor home. The first was a 2018 Thor Siesta 24SS built on a MB Chassis. We bought it brand new in 2018. We then traded it in for our current 2022 Thor Miramar 37.1 which we also bought brand new in 2022. It has 3 slide outs which aren't a full side slide out. We had trouble with one slide out this past summer but got it resolved. I have to agree that the varoom slide out system is a much better system but it is expensive to have installed. As far as I am concerned, I have been very happy with Thor Products and would not hesitate to buy another coach from them. We are very happy with our 2022 Thor Miramar 37.1.

Paul
I always say, it is very hard to be #1 in anything and be the worst You can read negatives about Wal Mart, Amazon all day if you want to. Some people refuse to shop at Wal Mart because the may have to Self Checkout. I will never forget once I was looking to buy a hammer and I thought I would read a few reviews on the Home Depot website to see price and see what people were saying. Some guy blasted a 16 oz Stanley hammer because he said he used it once and it had a nick, but he said he was willing to live with that, but a few months later he said he left it outside in the grass for about a week and it was starting rust. He had bold letters Don't Buy this Hammer. I couldn't wait to buy that hammer. Had to be about 10 years ago; I love that hammer.
Old 03-02-2024, 07:09 PM   #18

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Everybody (including me) has an opinion on this topic. I have tried them all from a tent, pop up tent camper, trailers, class A-B-C multiple versions. Out of all of them one thing was constant. The more it costs the better it was. When it comes to class A Thor products. I would not buy any model other than a diesel pusher. I have a Tuscany and I understand not everyone wants to spend that much of an RV. However Thor makes 6 models of diesel pushers now from the Tuscany on down to the Palazzo. A 3-4 year old Palazzo would not cost too much and is a better option than the gas powered models. More frame more weight, more torque and towing capacity (with exceptions) and a far better ride than any of the gas class A's.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:15 PM   #19

Brand: Crossroads
THOR #29917
Well, we ended up buying a 2023 year end closeout Mirimar 35.2. Will take delivery next Thursday. In our preliminary 1 hr. Walkthrough, we found 15 things that needed to be fixed. From loose valances, to roof fans not working to bay doors rubbing on slides while extended. Hopefully dealer will resolve them all and more. Been sitting on the lot for a long time, so needs a good workout. Fingers crossed ! This dealer has a campground attached, so we can stay there the first night and run it through the paces and have priority technicians the next morning if we find anything. Then the 170 mile journey back home with the new beast. Should be an exciting journey.
Old 03-13-2024, 06:40 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Woohoo! Got you a bigdaddy! They are lot of fun!