Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2024, 01:11 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: California
THOR #28908
12V Everything Upgrade!!

Well I finally took the jump and upgraded everything on my Miramar on the 12V side. Since it has the Xantrex 2000 installed for the fridge, it was a no brainer for us to increase our capabilities off grid and without hookups.

Started with dumping the 2 6V lead acid batteries for 2 300AH lithium batteries. Got rid of the 160 Bim and installed the 225 LI-Bim instead. Not a fan at all, never really charged my house battery while driving and the chance of it burning up my alternator by switching every 15 minutes I was not a fan. I instead removed that and installed a Renogy 50 amp MPPT DC to DC charger. Installed 3 175W panels on the roof. Upgraded the converter charger to a 60 amp lithium charger. Removed the go solar PWM controller, made a mount and installed the Renogy One Core in its place. Installed the Renogy smart shunt and all of this can be viewed and seen from the core unit inside my RV. The DC to DC charger is a game changer. It allows me to set a specific amp charge from the coach when driving to not burn up the alternator but also allows the solar to work in conjunction. It uses solar to charge the house batteries and once fully charged it will trickle charge the start battery. We camp 3-5 days regularly without hookups and our set up now will allow us to only on rare occasions to run the generator.
I can also monitor my start battery voltage whenever needed I did lose the Aux start option but I can swap a battery cable or jump myself if the need ever arises.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2767.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	45274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2768.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	45275  

Name:	IMG_2769.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	45276   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2765.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	45277  

Old 02-26-2024, 03:31 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Nice job. Due to your writing style I have to assume the in-depth research you carried out.
Which batteries did you decide upon?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 05:11 PM   #3

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: California
THOR #28908
I ended up with the Litime, I ran one in my old RV and it was a fantastic battery, so I ended up moving that one into an enclosed trailer that I have that I put a bunch of solar on and a controller and bought two more for my RV.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:38 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMiramar View Post
Well I finally took the jump and upgraded everything on my Miramar on the 12V side. Since it has the Xantrex 2000 installed for the fridge, it was a no brainer for us to increase our capabilities off grid and without hookups.

Started with dumping the 2 6V lead acid batteries for 2 300AH lithium batteries. Got rid of the 160 Bim and installed the 225 LI-Bim instead. Not a fan at all, never really charged my house battery while driving and the chance of it burning up my alternator by switching every 15 minutes I was not a fan. I instead removed that and installed a Renogy 50 amp MPPT DC to DC charger. Installed 3 175W panels on the roof. Upgraded the converter charger to a 60 amp lithium charger. Removed the go solar PWM controller, made a mount and installed the Renogy One Core in its place. Installed the Renogy smart shunt and all of this can be viewed and seen from the core unit inside my RV. The DC to DC charger is a game changer. It allows me to set a specific amp charge from the coach when driving to not burn up the alternator but also allows the solar to work in conjunction. It uses solar to charge the house batteries and once fully charged it will trickle charge the start battery. We camp 3-5 days regularly without hookups and our set up now will allow us to only on rare occasions to run the generator.
I can also monitor my start battery voltage whenever needed I did lose the Aux start option but I can swap a battery cable or jump myself if the need ever arises.
One more mod you can look at-12V rooftop AC.
I am installing one in my Tellaro 20L, and with my 600A bank, can run for days on low cool-(est. about 4-5 days)
https://www.vanlifeoutfitters.com/st...r-conditioner/
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 06:54 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Is that 12v ac on
600 amp lithium
Or
600a, only half amps available type batteries?

I'll buy 2 12v a.c(one is none) if you tell us more in a seperate thread.
I have space for 1000a lithium with ease. I'm at 400a now beacuse I needn't more(unless you inspire me).

And
For others reading this:
Do we know of a basement mounted 12v ac?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 07:17 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Is that 12v ac on
600 amp lithium
Or
600a, only half amps available type batteries?

I'll buy 2 12v a.c(one is none) if you tell us more in a seperate thread.
I have space for 1000a lithium with ease. I'm at 400a now beacuse I needn't more(unless you inspire me).

And
For others reading this:
Do we know of a basement mounted 12v ac?
12VDC (not AC) with 600Ah (two ea. 300Ah Weize batteries) LFP batteries- full discharge. Local custom van place is installing and said it ran for 7 days on 800Ah LFP system on 'low-cool. I went with 600, b/c it was cheaper than upgrading the RB100LT 100Ah batteries and also now inside, instead of underneath.

I would not consider the 'basement' types, unless they can be protected from the elements, not easy in a class B platform...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shelf const.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	45284  
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote