Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2024, 07:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #31603
Awning Inoperative

The awning will not extend or retract when commanded by the controller or the app. The controller indicates that the awning is extending and/or retracting, but the awning doesn't move. Also, the mother board makes a click when the controller or app is activated to extend or retract. I have a 2019 Thor Axis. Any suggestions to correct the problem would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-27-2024, 09:26 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Check the wiring connections at the awning motor, not sure on your model but you may be able to unplug at the motor and check voltage.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 09:45 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
While 'checking' any connections, use your voltmeter to check for actual voltage. And if you know of the motherboard, half the battle is done, check the output terminal(s) there to see if the voltage is being sent to the awning motor wiring.
Old 03-28-2024, 04:54 PM   #4
MLP

THOR #17478
We had a friend with the same problem. I have a portable 12V source and adapter cables. The awning retracted when I applied the voltage to the motor connector. He was able to get home. It turned out that his computer controlled console was the problem. It had to be replaced. He made sure that it was fixed for good by purchasing a fifth wheel a few months later. It was not the only problem he had with his RV.

I have used the cables to jumper my water heater while camping. The relay failed so both the 120V and propane switches would not function. The switches set the relay and the relay applies the 12V to the water heater. Having a 12V source and jumper cables can save your RV trip.
Old 03-28-2024, 05:53 PM   #5

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAKoehler View Post
The awning will not extend or retract when commanded by the controller or the app. The controller indicates that the awning is extending and/or retracting, but the awning doesn't move. Also, the mother board makes a click when the controller or app is activated to extend or retract. I have a 2019 Thor Axis. Any suggestions to correct the problem would be appreciated. Thanks
My awning failed, and is controlled via the BMPro.
So what happened is that the red power cable that feeds the masternode, came off the backside of the 12V fuse panel, way down low and hard to see. Crimp was not done properly, and wire was on the deck.
So I got a new spade and recrimped, connected and back online again! I had to use the manual crank to extend/retract that one time we went out after the wire pulled out and did not realise.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 06:38 PM   #6

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Could it be an interlock? I mean the awning may be setup to not work in certain situations.... the chassis engine is running for example.
Old 03-28-2024, 09:11 PM   #7

THOR #31603
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWEB View Post
While 'checking' any connections, use your voltmeter to check for actual voltage. And if you know of the motherboard, half the battle is done, check the output terminal(s) there to see if the voltage is being sent to the awning motor wiring.

I checked the voltage at the input side of the 12VDirect Response Control Module and it read 14.3 volts. Then I checked the output side of the Control Module while operating the in the extend direction and saw no voltage. So I am assuming that the control module has failed.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:32 PM   #8

Model: 2024 Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #28777
Awning inop issue

If the touch screen controller won't work, have you tried using your cell phone or tablet? They log directly into the same main controller that the touch screen does.

I am assuming your 2019 Axis has a BMPro system like my 2024 Axis 24.1.

There have been a couple of times when my main screen will not operate "something", but my phone will. When that has happened I close BMPro and quit it. Then relaunch. So far this has resolved my issues.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:06 AM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Arizona
THOR #21371
Awning inop issue

Just got mine fixed for the same issue. Repair tech told me he found a blown fuse on the controller board under my bed.