Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2022, 10:44 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scDust View Post
My 2 cents: We have a 2016 Outlaw 29J, ours was located on the front fenderwell, under the hood on the driver's side. I replaced it with one like pictured in post #10.

A lot of times I can hear it switch by hearing that loud knock. Usually from sitting on shore power, then opening a cab door that makes the parking lights come on for about a minute, then in a bit, "knock"!
Then you actually replaced the Emergency Start Solenoid / Relay with a BIM on your Outlaw, which is good and the way they should do it from the factory. But again, many of the Thor Class C's don't come standard with a BIM and the ability of the Converter to charge the chassis battery on shore or generator power.

I installed a Trik-L-Start to my old Outlaw 29H to allow shore power (any the solar I installed) to keep the chassis battery maintained.

Old 07-18-2022, 12:45 PM   #22

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
I am quite familiar with the Precision Circuits BIM 160 as I have one on my Axis 24.1 and it is located in the engine compartment in front of the driver side fender well.

The Precision Circuits device described in post #18 is probably not the newish Precision Circuits BIM 160. The BIM 160 (or presumably its older equivalent) can be replaced with the Precision Circuits Li-BIM 225. This device had different voltage settings appropriate or lithium batteries and has a 15 minutes on and off cycle that protects the engine alternator from heavy current and overheating.

My take is that the alternator protection is usually not needed for up to 200 Ah of lithium batteries but more than that probably needs it.

Perhaps install your lithiums with the existing BIM and then check the alternator case temp while the chassis engine is idling (that is the point that most alternators suffer overheating due to high current and low alternator air flow due to low rpms). If the case temp is below 200 F you are probably ok.

David
Old 04-13-2023, 02:37 AM   #23

State: California
THOR #27576
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRVRocks View Post
Did you ever actually find the location of the IRD? I have 2022 Quantum MB24 and I am trying to track down mine.
I have a MB24 as well. Did you change out your BIM?

Tags
bim, quantum ws31