Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2021, 06:42 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Nice comments. However.....

This is a pressure gauge not a level gauge. Big difference as when the shut off valve on the tank is open it will read whatever pressure is in the tank. This will change with the temp of the propane, the fluid and the tank. See your grille tank when it is cold and when it is hot. The gauge in the permanently mounted RV tank is a level gauge that detects the actual level with a float. Not the same and the pressure gauge is very mis-leading.

The flow from a RV tank could be higher than from a Grille tank, I would doubt this will work and will most likely shutoff when two or more gas appliances are fired up. Literature says 75,00 BTU/Hr max flow and most RV furnaces are 25-35K BTU/Hr. to start with.

Most important: When sometime claims: UL Listed and Approved that means that UL has a list of acceptable applications and locations for the use of a product. From what I see it CAN be used on portable tanks (such as grilles and 2nd loose tanks for a RV or Grille) but possibly MAY NOT be listed for use on motor vehicle's.

We see comments on many forums all the time about the proper use of parts and changes to and then a reference to a regulatory body. These regulatory bodies existing for a very good reason.

See: https://gasstopusa.com/ for lots of good reading.

Digging into the USA website, it does claim that it meets "applicable standards are UL 119 and UL 2061" but looking up what I can find on these standards there is a reference to 'Standard on Recreational Vehicles, NFPA 1192' but this is the overall standard for all RV's with subsections on each use or class of RV. Don't have a copy so can't tell if it is OK.

That said, unless this device is rated for use on "permanently mounted RV tanks on motor vehicle's" I would NOT even consider it. It is redundant to the existing regulator / Excess Flow Valve already installed and another component to contend with.

I would consider this for use with my grille where I tap into the RV lines for supply. In case of the grille hose leaking looks like a good product, if expensive. And for loose mounted tanks on trailers and as 2nd tanks.

Enjoy.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:26 AM   #22
CHS

Model: 2019 Chateau 28Z
State: Tennessee
THOR #22388
I ordered the Gas Stop for my RV.

I find it interesting that so many are reluctant to look at a safety item that could possibly save your unit and your lives.

Seems so many think that the regulators safety feature is enough to protect you in the case of a major leak. They ONLY shut off the propane (Partially) so it still bleeds through.

Example. Ever have issues with your home Gas grill? You try to light it but you open the burners (Before) you open the LP tank and then all you get is a moderate flame. Still enough though to cook with. Well, That's the partial shut-off and your still getting a flame. You need to open the gas tank valve first, then the burners.

Question. You have a gas leak in your house. Do you shut the gas meter/valve all the way off or just partially before getting it fixed? It sounds like many are OK with just shutting it off partially.

We buy enough (Bling) for our toys, but seems many are reluctant to buy a safety device that could keep you and your rig from blowing up.

This was my choice and not trying to talk anyone into it. I posted this thread to inform y'all of a fairly inexpensive safety device that (I think) could potentially save lives, given the fact that there are approximately 20,000 RV fires annually.
Old 04-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #23
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumatics View Post
Nice comments. However.....

This is a pressure gauge not a level gauge. Big difference as when the shut off valve on the tank is open it will read whatever pressure is in the tank. This will change with the temp of the propane, the fluid and the tank. See your grille tank when it is cold and when it is hot. The gauge in the permanently mounted RV tank is a level gauge that detects the actual level with a float. Not the same and the pressure gauge is very mis-leading.

The flow from a RV tank could be higher than from a Grille tank, I would doubt this will work and will most likely shutoff when two or more gas appliances are fired up. Literature says 75,00 BTU/Hr max flow and most RV furnaces are 25-35K BTU/Hr. to start with.

Most important: When sometime claims: UL Listed and Approved that means that UL has a list of acceptable applications and locations for the use of a product. From what I see it CAN be used on portable tanks (such as grilles and 2nd loose tanks for a RV or Grille) but possibly MAY NOT be listed for use on motor vehicle's.

We see comments on many forums all the time about the proper use of parts and changes to and then a reference to a regulatory body. These regulatory bodies existing for a very good reason.

See: https://gasstopusa.com/ for lots of good reading.

Digging into the USA website, it does claim that it meets "applicable standards are UL 119 and UL 2061" but looking up what I can find on these standards there is a reference to 'Standard on Recreational Vehicles, NFPA 1192' but this is the overall standard for all RV's with subsections on each use or class of RV. Don't have a copy so can't tell if it is OK.

That said, unless this device is rated for use on "permanently mounted RV tanks on motor vehicle's" I would NOT even consider it. It is redundant to the existing regulator / Excess Flow Valve already installed and another component to contend with.

I would consider this for use with my grille where I tap into the RV lines for supply. In case of the grille hose leaking looks like a good product, if expensive. And for loose mounted tanks on trailers and as 2nd tanks.

Enjoy.
This is from the FAQ section.

Does the gauge read the exact level of gas in the gas cylinder?

No, it reads the pressure of the gas under load/usage. It therefore gives a meaningful readout of gas supplies during the consumption of gas (at phase equilibrium). See the question “Is the pressure gauge useful?” for more information.

Is the pressure gauge useful?

The gas pressure gauge is a very useful, multipurpose tool.
The gauge indicates when the gas cylinder is almost empty (a decline in the vapour pressure curve). The gauge does not indicate the exact amount of propane left in the cylinder.
A steady pressure reading only indicates that propane is left in the cylinder.
If the needle is pointing to:
– HIGH: Increased gas pressure
– GAS: Sufficient gas (steady pressure)
– LOW: Almost empty (approximately 30 minutes left of gas use)
As GasStop is directly installed into the cylinder there are a few variables that can affect unregulated pressure, namely: temperature, amount of liquified gas vs rate of vaporisation, gas type and gas purity. There may also be other irregularities which affect the pressure reading.
As per the instructions, it is advised to run the gas for a small period of time to have a better indication of gas level. This allows the propane/pressure to reach something called “phase equilibrium”. Further to this point there is a “vapour pressure curve”, this is why it is recommended to run the bottle for a short while to allow for this process.
NB the gauge is also useful to represent the following:

Visual evidence of pressure decay (a minor leak) in a lock-up pressure test scenario.
Visual evidence of high pressure
Visual evidence of a shut-off
Visual evidence of an activated and stable system
Visual evidence of variable/unstable pressure

And last. Their safety compliances.

https://gasstopusa.com/about-the-gasstop/quality/
Old 04-01-2021, 09:40 AM   #24
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
No,,, I actually read through the info on the link that you provided.
I used the term "tanks"; because the fires will back-track along the lines...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1617196553
All the more reason to get it. IT SHUTS OFF THE TANK!!!!
Old 04-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #25

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHS View Post
given the fact that there are approximately 20,000 RV fires annually.
At 20,000 RV fires I am looking at flat towing a fire truck! I believe that is old data.... when the refrigerator fires were a problem years ago. So searching I found a very interesting document for us folks who need more to read!

https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/N...AndLossRVs.pdf

It appears that leaks and breaks account for 4% of RV fires. Engines #1. I love good facts well presented from regulatory.

BTW I just purchased two, one for my S&B grille and one for the grille for the RV when I plug into the RV.

My problem with this type of literature on website's is that it is meant to be marketing. Period. Move product. I just disagree with using it on the stationary tank in a moving MH. My preference.

Good work all!
Old 04-01-2021, 05:07 PM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I generally travel with my propane turned off at the tank. I have a strong preference for absorption fridges and I use an inverter to power it electrically when on the road. I’m not especially worried about a spontaneous leak but in a serious accident it is not hard to imagine damage to the system.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:14 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
CHS,
Sorry... I gotta ask this:
Do you have anything to do with the development or marketing of this product?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:01 PM   #28

State: Oregon
THOR #20539
Hmnn, when a damn rodent chewed thru my LP hose I lost circa $40 of LP...I would have been halfway to affording this device!...the "integral Gas Stop" did not work (if I have one installed on a Sprinter 2018 Citation 24SJ) but I'm happy and sure that the rodent got a mouth/belly full of LP when he (or she) broke thru my line!...
...and just to confirm, please, does anybody use any rodent deterrents?...I have bought a string of Solar LED rope lights (that seem to work as described - Harbor Freight $10/set) so I am going to buy 2 more sets to circle the RV when in storage and when I'm at a field style RV park...there's some other 'old wives tails' such as putting Irish soap chips on the tires and peppermint spray nightly!...let me know your stories!...cheers Ian.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #29
CHS

THOR #22388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
CHS,
Sorry... I gotta ask this:
Do you have anything to do with the development or marketing of this product?
NO!. I just wanted to help out with something I find useful. Never do that again!