Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2024, 04:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #31490
Replacing countertops in Axis

I have a 2022 Thor Axis and I hate the cheap plastic covered countertops that peel around the edges. These tops are not even laminate. They just seem to be covered with contact paper. Has anyone had them replaced with solid surface tops and if so where was it done?

Old 03-11-2024, 05:25 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Call any local cabinet/home improvement store.
This is not an rv specific thing. This is a local craftsman thing.

This is an international forum.
My Arizona guy isn't going to be much help to,you.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:40 PM   #3

Model: 2022 Tellaro 20L
State: Vermont
THOR #30506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counselor View Post
I have a 2022 Thor Axis and I hate the cheap plastic covered countertops that peel around the edges. These tops are not even laminate. They just seem to be covered with contact paper. Has anyone had them replaced with solid surface tops and if so where was it done?
I used to design, build and install kitchens, and make my own countertops, and use 3/4" poplar plywood as a base, and either Formica or Wilsonart laminate. I also paint the underside with acrylic enamel as a vapor barrier.

I never use particle board as most tops are made of in home improvement stores, b/c it is a virtual sponge and you'll be replacing in s few years. You can find places or jobbers that do this kind of work thru "Top shops" or kitchen/bath design/supply stores.

Another option, used in my Tellaro, is Corian (or damn good copy of that), a solid material that mimics marble, but is a tough composite, and is usually 3/4" thick, and then built up at the edges. If you scratch it, you can sand it out and buff. You can't do that with any laminate, except 'color-core' Formica.

Corian is more $$, but is the best for an RV, b/c it's pretty much a forever thing. I was surprised they used that after all the other BS they did to my RV...

A good cabinetmaker can make tops for you- just have to find one (I'm not for hire, sorry)
If your a woodworker, you can use the old tops as a pattern and make new ones pretty easily- need a well vented space, a good router and laminate bit, and some experience.
The laminate glue (contact cement) is nasty stuff- respirator, eyewear, and well-vented space are needed.
Google to see how it's done- I'm sure there's lots of videos about it! I use the 'stick' method when attaching the laminate.
Daily driver: 2021 VW ID4
Mark54 is offline   Reply With Quote