Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor RV Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni BH35
State: Florida
THOR #25570
Exclamation Heading to New Hampshire!

Yes you read that correctly. I just got my RV in Florida and I am heading North for our first trip. Why? Because my mother said so. I know it sounds backwards but I know there are people out there that are doing it already and can give some good insight. It is happening so work with me.

OK all that aside. I have been doing my research and have not gotten very many exact answers. Mostly information on winterizing (for storage). I am traveling through cold weather and then will park it (will winterize upon arrival). I just got done crawling underneath the coach and do not see any exposed water pipes that need to be wrapped. It is equipped with a tank heater....is that the fresh water tank? Does it work?

I have seen many responses that say you will use more propane so I understand that.

I saw a video that said to use bottled water for cooking and cleaning (not showering) and everything that goes down the drain (Gray) should be followed by the same amount of anti-freeze. Got it.

Also in the video it says to use ceramic space heaters near the fridge because of the water line to the ice maker.

I have simple.....probably newbie question:

1. How do you keep the house warm for passengers while driving?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your time, patience and understanding.

Philip

Old 12-14-2021, 10:39 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
I would suggest wrapping the sewer lines with insulation to help keep them from freezing. I did that last year and stayed in 16 degree weather with snow having no issues. As far as heating the coach warm while travelling you have a couple of options. You can run your generator and use the furnace but it will use your propane while on the road or run your generator and use an electric heater(ceramic one you have). I also carry an electric blanket for my wife that can plug into a 12 volt or 120 volt outlet that she uses sometimes while we are driving in the cold weather. The tank heaters are on your black and grey tanks and not usually on your fresh water tank. My fresh water tank stays warm from the furnace. It has a vent from the furnace to the water tank bay which is also where my water pump is located. I also used pipe insulation of the fresh water lines that come out of the fresh water tank for added protection. I will be adding some reflectix over all of the windows to help insulate them from the cold when we are parked. I just need to cut it to fit each window. I too will be adding some pink r v anti freeze to the grey and black tanks even though I too have tank heaters. My motor home has a diesel engine and I will add the anti gel to the fuel system each time I fuel up.

Paul
Old 12-15-2021, 12:28 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
As long as you are living in the RV and keeping the inside temps at 65+ and have electric tank heaters, I don't think there is much to worry about at temps of 20 F or so. Lower than that I would put heat tape on the black and grey dump lines to keep them from freezing as they are fully exposed.

As noted above, on most coaches the water lines are next to the furnace air hoses so they automatically get warmed if you are using the furnace. If you are driving with just the engine heater you might want to prop open the cover to that area, so it gets some warmth.

David
Old 12-15-2021, 12:42 AM   #4

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3RV View Post
Yes you read that correctly. I just got my RV in Florida and I am heading North for our first trip. Why? Because my mother said so. I know it sounds backwards but I know there are people out there that are doing it already and can give some good insight. It is happening so work with me.

OK all that aside. I have been doing my research and have not gotten very many exact answers. Mostly information on winterizing (for storage). I am traveling through cold weather and then will park it (will winterize upon arrival). I just got done crawling underneath the coach and do not see any exposed water pipes that need to be wrapped. It is equipped with a tank heater....is that the fresh water tank? Does it work?

I have seen many responses that say you will use more propane so I understand that.

I saw a video that said to use bottled water for cooking and cleaning (not showering) and everything that goes down the drain (Gray) should be followed by the same amount of anti-freeze. Got it.

Also in the video it says to use ceramic space heaters near the fridge because of the water line to the ice maker.

I have simple.....probably newbie question:

1. How do you keep the house warm for passengers while driving?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your time, patience and understanding.

Philip
I didn't read all the answers but keep the heat running while driving in the colder climates. Putting rv antifreeze in the black and gray tanks to me makes no sense. RV antifreeze freezes in the 20's and below so you will just have big chunks of antifreeze in the tanks. RV antifreeze isn't made to be mixed with anything, RV antifreeze freezes but doesn't expand, water mixed with RV antifreeze will freeze and expand. Keep cabinets open for heat to get to the pipes. I thought about using automotive antifreeze in the black and gay tanks only! It would mix with the water and protect to 34 below depending on the amount of water added
Old 12-15-2021, 12:17 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
I would suggest wrapping the sewer lines with insulation to help keep them from freezing. I did that last year and stayed in 16 degree weather with snow having no issues. As far as heating the coach warm while travelling you have a couple of options. You can run your generator and use the furnace but it will use your propane while on the road or run your generator and use an electric heater(ceramic one you have). I also carry an electric blanket for my wife that can plug into a 12 volt or 120 volt outlet that she uses sometimes while we are driving in the cold weather. The tank heaters are on your black and grey tanks and not usually on your fresh water tank. My fresh water tank stays warm from the furnace. It has a vent from the furnace to the water tank bay which is also where my water pump is located. I also used pipe insulation of the fresh water lines that come out of the fresh water tank for added protection. I will be adding some reflectix over all of the windows to help insulate them from the cold when we are parked. I just need to cut it to fit each window. I too will be adding some pink r v anti freeze to the grey and black tanks even though I too have tank heaters. My motor home has a diesel engine and I will add the anti gel to the fuel system each time I fuel up.

Paul
Thx just ordered a 12v blanket for my wife!
Old 12-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Scubawise

My wife uses the blanket while we are driving and at night on the bed to help her stay warm. It works great.

Paul
Old 12-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Use -75 RV antifreeze for drains in extreme cold

We havve the Aquahot on anytime temps are near freezing for the entire trip

Water tank is used also

Below 15 or so water tank is drained

Used 12v blankets for many years in UTV and GEM car and have one in the Tuscany

It is nice for the co-pilot when heading into wind or very cold temps

Donhave tank heaters so both thermostats in the basement are set for heat

Around 10 gallons per day extra fuel burn for below 32 temps
Old 12-15-2021, 02:48 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post

Paul
No need to run the generator for the furnace.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote