Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2023, 04:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Amazon may shake up Data Plans?

Help coming..

Not sure why carriers will really destroy their massive profit?

Amazon in talks to offer low-cost or free mobile service to Prime customers, report says | TechCrunch

https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/02/am...tomers-report/

Old 06-05-2023, 09:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
VaporService!

Quote:
Amazon may take several months to launch the service, or may scrap the plan altogether.

Amazon spokesperson Bradley Mattinger denied that Amazon is planning to add mobile service to Prime

Verizon and T-Mobile have both stated that they are not in talks with Amazon regarding the reported plans.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 12:49 PM   #3

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
If the news says Amazon is talking about it, the reality is Amazon already has crews installing their own cell towers that are taller, closer, stronger, and will cost the consumer much less.
Old 06-06-2023, 01:29 PM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Look at Comcast...... they came up with a brilliant cell phone program using Verizon's network

I put my wife on Xfinity Mobile because they charge users for users at the end of 30 days so you can change your plan mid-cycle if you need want to do so.

If you have Xfinity Cable, they offer unlimited calls and texts with the following data options:

1GB Plan for $15
3GB Plan for $30
Unlimited Plan for $45

My wife doesn't use a lot of data so she is usually on the 1GB Plan. With tax it is $16.65 all-in for her cell phone plan. I will get a notice before the end of the billing cycle if she goes over 1GB and I can then move her to the 3GB plan or the Unlimited Plan depending on how much data she is using.... as long as I do it before the end of the cycle. Then when the new cycle starts, I can switch her back to 1GB E-Cheapo plan.

What's in it for Verizon? My wife was on AT&T and Xfinity is paying Verizon something for my wife to now use their network.

What's in it for Comcast? A way to keep people from cutting their cable and losing customers.

Amazon is at a cross-roads. Walmart is fighting them hard with Walmart Plus. Companies have to keep reinventing themself if they want to stay relevant. Amazon is trying to find ways to be sticky with their customers.
Old 06-06-2023, 02:24 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
If the news says Amazon is talking about it, the reality is Amazon already has crews installing their own cell towers that are taller, closer, stronger, and will cost the consumer much less.
I agree 100%.
They have started and others want in.
200 million prime members!
Old 06-06-2023, 04:24 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I try to support local brick n mortars as often as practical. Even so, Amazon vans have worn permanent tire grooves in my driveway.

Walmart is simply getting a taste of their own medicine. Only a matter of time until those big Walmart warehouse stores become actual warehouses and cease retail operations. Amazon is beating them in the "cheap China game" but without the cost of a physical storefront.

A pair of hiking boots at Dick's were $40 cheaper on Amazon... that's not chump change for consumers.

But I digress... I could see Amazon jumping on the 3rd party bandwagon that's so prevalent now with telcoms. But they're still using the same Big Three towers and bandwidth.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:39 PM   #7

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Plant fertilizer was 4 times as expensive on Amazon as at home depot.
Dr Earth fruit tree food.

I'm not sure Amazon has yet to turn a profit. It's how you work the books.
Seems odd to say.
I haven't checked in about five years, so it may have changed.

They were alive on tax grants and subsidies and credit lines.
Yep it depends on the product.

And yep... surviving on subsidies and credit is 100% correct. Camping World is using the same technique to buy out mom & pop dealers. They get infusions of cash by robbing Peter for investor dividends. Bernie Madoff style...
Old 06-11-2023, 12:08 AM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #22431
Amazon surviving on subsidies and credit? Nah. Here's a decent analysis of Amazon (including financials).
https://businessmodelanalyst.com/is-amazon-profitable/
Old 06-11-2023, 01:12 AM   #9

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDopp View Post
Amazon surviving on subsidies and credit? Nah. Here's a decent analysis of Amazon (including financials).
https://businessmodelanalyst.com/is-amazon-profitable/
Reads like an investment sales pitch... nonetheless Amazon has become an institution, and with that kind of revenue will likely be around for a long, long time.