Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2021, 10:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #21613
Condensation in MH

We are hoping someone can provide guidance. We have a 2019 Thor Compass RV with an air conditioner on the roof (maybe a heat pump because it also heats). When it rains or is very humid outside and the AC is on, moisture condenses on all the internal surfaces. Since AC units tend to remove moisture from the air, I wonder if the unit is not recycling air inside the coach, but instead is simply blowing cold air from outside into the interior. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what was the solution? We’d like to sleep without being soaked in the morning.

Old 09-08-2021, 11:02 PM   #2

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
This sounds like a matter of physics, rather than an AC / heat pump issue.

Warm humid air introduced into a cooler environment will always condense.

Make sure all your doors/windows are properly sealed to prevent that humidity getting in. Minimize opening doors when not necessary.

After that - Damp Rid or equivalent is your friend. Hanging bags for your closets, and strategically placed "buckets" where you place them without tripping or tipping them over.
Old 09-09-2021, 03:01 AM   #3

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
We run a small dehumidifier. This works well in the summer. In the winter it's a different story and I usually wake up and wipe down the windows with a towel. Some suggest cracking a vent.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
RVs have poor insulation and the windows are most likely single pane. As such the colder glass panel vs the interior condensation will develop. The heat and humidity machines in the RV (human and animal) far overpower the heat and humidity removers, air conditioners/heat pumps. Thus the formation of condensation. Solutions are next time get dual pane windows, fans in the interior to circulate air around to help reduce the condensation. If you try a dehumidifier make sure it's drained to a sink and the grey valve open.

Welcome to the world of RVs and construction that in no way resembles a house construction.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #21613
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
RVs have poor insulation and the windows are most likely single pane. As such the colder glass panel vs the interior condensation will develop. The heat and humidity machines in the RV (human and animal) far overpower the heat and humidity removers, air conditioners/heat pumps. Thus the formation of condensation. Solutions are next time get dual pane windows, fans in the interior to circulate air around to help reduce the condensation. If you try a dehumidifier make sure it's drained to a sink and the grey valve open.

Welcome to the world of RVs and construction that in no way resembles a house construction.

The condensation occurred during the day when there were no animals or people inside, but rain outside. I guess in my naive world I thought the AC unit in the RV would extract humidity from inside, kind of like the mini split unit that heats and cools our porch. Guess I was wrong. Thanks to all for the helpful info. [emoji4]
Old 09-09-2021, 04:26 PM   #6

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
I run my air set at 70 degrees 24 / 7 and it makes all the difference in the world. Even when it’s parked at home air is still running. Didn’t do this for the first two years and it had smells and moisture on windows now none of that and I don’t have to worry about mildew. I also clean my windows with tv and computer screen cleaner
Old 09-09-2021, 09:27 PM   #7

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Dehumidifier
Old 09-12-2021, 01:32 PM   #8

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Folly View Post
We are hoping someone can provide guidance. We have a 2019 Thor Compass RV with an air conditioner on the roof (maybe a heat pump because it also heats). When it rains or is very humid outside and the AC is on, moisture condenses on all the internal surfaces. Since AC units tend to remove moisture from the air, I wonder if the unit is not recycling air inside the coach, but instead is simply blowing cold air from outside into the interior. Has anyone else had a similar experience and what was the solution? We’d like to sleep without being soaked in the morning.
Had this issue in a Thor Synergy Sprinter Chassis RV. The fix was really easy. On very hot humid conditions we slightly opened one of the powered ceiling vents just an inch, end of problem and the coach stayed cool.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote