Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2021, 08:12 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 34E
State: New York
THOR #5840
Elec awning question

Is there a lockout of the awning operation if the RV is parked on a grade? My driveway is not level and my awning won't deploy to give me some shade while waxing the unit. The fuse is good. The awning motor was replaced last year.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #2

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
On mine the house battery switch has to be on and the engine off

Otherwise sure don't have any idea

I use mine the same way and it is on a grade in front of the shop and it works fine other than a slight wind gust will roll it up
Old 08-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #3

THOR #5840
Yea, I wasn't sure if there was a lockout if the MH isn't level. I'm hoping it's not the motor again. I'll try adding power directly to the motor to rule out a wiring issue inside the MH.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:29 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Is there a lockout of the awning operation if the RV is parked on a grade? My driveway is not level and my awning won't deploy to give me some shade while waxing the unit. The fuse is good. The awning motor was replaced last year.
I wouldn't think so; what would be the concern? My Awning (Carefree) actually allows me adjust the arms so when it rolls out or in; it is purposely unlevel. I use to think it was crazy, but I use all the time based on direction of sun
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:37 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Unlevel Lockout? - No
Key still in ignition lockout - Yes
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:55 PM   #6

THOR #5840
Key in ignition not the problem. Will have to troubleshoot the motor. Thanks for the assistance.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
It may sound crazy but is it possible you rolled it backwards over itself the last time you retracted it...this would cause it to try to retract when you push the extend button...pretty common mistake lots of us make...I've done it a few times. It doesn't have a proximity switch so...if you continue holding the extend button beyond full extend, it will actually flip over itself and retract. I was in a hurry once and didn't realize I pressed the wrong button to retract awning...caused me a huge head scatcher the next trip I tried to extend it.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 04:11 PM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It may sound crazy but is it possible you rolled it backwards over itself the last time you retracted it...this would cause it to try to retract when you push the extend button...pretty common mistake lots of us make...I've done it a few times. It doesn't have a proximity switch so...if you continue holding the extend button beyond full extend, it will actually flip over itself and retract. I was in a hurry once and didn't realize I pressed the wrong button to retract awning...caused me a huge head scatcher the next trip I tried to extend it.
Really want to see if this is the case for OP?
Our will flip over too when extending to far. I have never tried to bring it all the way back when I was extending though?

I only know it does that because on our awning the LED lights are the inside so it must be fully extended to see the lights. What is good about it is that you can adjust the direction of the LED light to fit the occasion. But there is not stop, it will keep on extending.

I am scared to try on mine, but would love to see one that has been fully extended to point of a forced stop back to the RV.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #9

THOR #5840
Well, today (a cool rainy day) I was installing a new tabletop. On my way out of the MH I decided to hit the awning extend switch just for the hell of it. The damn thing deployed and retracted. So, now I'm scratching my head. This may be an intermittent problem with the motor AGAIN! I had the motor replaced a year ago. Not looking forward to doing it again.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #10

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJRocky View Post
Well, today (a cool rainy day) I was installing a new tabletop. On my way out of the MH I decided to hit the awning extend switch just for the hell of it. The damn thing deployed and retracted. So, now I'm scratching my head. This may be an intermittent problem with the motor AGAIN! I had the motor replaced a year ago. Not looking forward to doing it again.

You really need to find the leads to the motor and check voltage while it working so you know what it is suppose to do. Then next time it occurs (if it occurs) you can check voltage again. If you got proper voltage but motor does not run, then yes you have a motor issue, but if no voltage you likely have a malfunctioning switch which would be my best guess.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2021, 11:30 PM   #11
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
We all do not know the condition of the wires. Are they oxidized? Copper and tin oxide does not conduct. So checking the wire connections at the awning is another thing to check. Not to disparage the work that was previously done. Just something to double check.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:33 PM   #12

Brand: DRV
Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
This probably isn’t your solution but my awning wouldn’t deploy. The motor moved it a smidgen and then stopped. If we yanked hard on the supports it would eventually open. Closing was not a problem. I thought the motor was failing and almost bought a new one. (I’m the lowest common denominator in any room). My mechanical engineer BIL said hold off. Try replacing the struts first. Did that and no more problems. The struts were 5 years old.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:18 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #10574
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostRetired View Post
This probably isn’t your solution but my awning wouldn’t deploy. The motor moved it a smidgen and then stopped. If we yanked hard on the supports it would eventually open. Closing was not a problem. I thought the motor was failing and almost bought a new one. (I’m the lowest common denominator in any room). My mechanical engineer BIL said hold off. Try replacing the struts first. Did that and no more problems. The struts were 5 years old.
The above is similar to our experience as well. Our awning is tensioned with air struts, but they can not deploy very well from the retracted position. So I find I commonly have to hit the OUT button for a few seconds, pull on each support to extend it 3-4" (and let the struts gas up) and then it will go out the rest of the way.

Hauling the family around the country in our 2018 Thor ACE 30.2. Running, cycling or running my agency the rest of the time.
Ferf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #14

THOR #5840
Well the awning is still working. I had it open today to give me shade while finishing compounding out the oxidation (getting too old for this). I have a trip coming up this weekend so I will be checking the wiring and taking voltage readings. I will post updates. Has anyone found a protectant that will stave off oxidation longer than the usual waxes over the counter? My MH is in the elements all of the time.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:03 AM   #15

Brand: DRV
Model: PS3 Elite
State: Minnesota
THOR #3564
Ferf, I’ll bet you a nickel to a handshake new struts with solve that.
2013 HD Ultra Limited
AlmostRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:49 AM   #16

Model: 4-Winds 28F
State: Kansas
THOR #4709
I put the slide out, awning out & ran the generator today (tad cooler). I found I had to have the button on that works for the overhead light behind the front seats. That switch is by the door, next to where I turn off everything when not going to be in & out for a while. I was distraught because it wouldn't go out & I do try to extend to get water off after rain. I panic easily & never understand instructions (okay, made it to 86), so I do try to keep everything ready to roll & call sons for help if I can't fix something.